Kirils

reflex problems

I purchased a new Reflex last year and since then have had 4 cut-aways. I've had severe line twists and severe spinning mals where the chute was a ball of garbage. I've switched chutes with my Dolphin and Mirage (not one problem using these rigs) in an attempt to find the problem. I've had no response from the manufacturer. (I learned too late about the companies reputation for bad customer service...) I'm not jumping the Reflex till I get some idea of what's wrong. Your idea's would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Kirils

Sheee! Maybe your riser covers go back too deep and your risers are snagging your reserve container. Are your risers short?
I have 300 jumps on my reflex (triathlon1.3, stilleto1.3, Space1.5 Samurai 1.5) with barely any off heading openings or line twists.
Although I really notice when I am lazy packing and don't leave 16-18" left over from my last stow, I tend to get some twists.
bloo skies
ramon

I had no problems with my Reflex. Had line twists once in 135 jumps, was a packing problem not a container problem.
Does this happen with any main you put in there or just one? What kind of main(s)? Any set of risers or just the ones that came with the rig? Have you had your rigger check the line trim on the canopy?
pull and flare,
lisa

Lisa, the problem is definately the container. I have eliminated most of the variables by switching chutes, changing
packing technique, double stows, changing positions on opening ...ad infinum...
The sad part is that the manufacturer appears to care less that I have problems.
Kirils

That sucks. Well I guess they will always be a second tier manufacturer (never in league with Javelin, Vector or Mirage).
Do you know anyone with a Reflex dealership who might personally know someone over there that can push some "buttons", or maybe a Master rigger type with some connections?
ramon

Two things to check. First, are you stowing your risers, links and first few inches of line straight along the edge of the main container?
Secondly, does it have tiny main riser cover tuck tabs? The first few Reflexes had tiny triangular tuck tabs that were subsequently replaced by the factory.
Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger

Hey Kirils
I had an issue with Fliteline also. They really do seem to be indifferent to their customer needs. I wrote an e-mail to David Burrows e-mail address [email protected]. I told him how I felt about the lack of communication. He replied within one day and was very helpfull, so give him a try if you haven't. I don't know why they can't seem to get back to you in a reasonable time frame. I told them if they didn't answer my questions ( see thread on risers ) that I would never buy another reflex.
Anyway I had some problems with line twists also but found as said earlier if I left about 18" of lines unstowed it cured the problem.
Some fun eh!

i've got almost 500 jumps on mine and i love it. never did put in the catapult though. don't think there's a need for it...so why bother. i also have a javenlin. i like the reflex way better. never had any trouble with either rig. but then again, i've got spectres in both. super canopy and very forgiving.

Kirshan,
most of those nasty rumors about Reflexes were spread by dealers who sell other brands. Every design has its good points and its bad points and I defy you to name any rig that has not had problems over the years. Sure early Reflexes had a few glitches, but they have been ironed out.
Most of the reserve deployment problems on Refleexes were caused by brain dead, red neck riggers who lacked common sense or telephones!

Hey, I have no complaints about the rig except the trouble I've experienced on deployment and poor customer service from Flightline. The rig is tight in free-fly and fairly comfortable. I appreciate all the help and suggestions received and now I have a place to start in resoving these problems. It's sad that the manufacturer will not reply to
my requests for help. It dosen't matter how good the rig is, lousy customer service will kill any repeat business from me. Flightline must be making one whopping profit to be able to ignor customer's requests for help.
Kirils
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

According to Steve Alexander of ParaQuip, new management has assumed control of Fliteline. This may help to improve customer service. I could be wrong but I believe that Fliteline has been really bogged down over the last year due to a lawsuit involving the grommet related fatality.
FallRate

Flightline must be making one whopping profit to be able to ignor customer's requests for help.

After selling Reflex's at 40% off list price toward the end of '99 (Fliteline's "millenium special"), then watching the sales of Reflex's tank during 2000, when I think of Fliteline now I don't think "whopping profit"...
I think the customer service problem is more an effect of declining sales - i.e. can no longer afford to keep the staff working.
pull and flare,
lisa