ffmdoll

My first Canopy

I already know what kind of harness/container(javelin) I am going to buy but do not know what type of canopy to get. I have an exit weight right now of 250# with a heavy student rig and am flying a PD280 Navigator. I am landing this consistantly and am just a few jumps away from my A license. I know I want my wing loading to be about .9 to 1.0 but just dont know what canopies out there will have the flight characteristics to help me with my inexperience at this point but not be like a flying tank like I use now. thanks for your help, marc

Lots of new skydivers (including myself) are getting Hornets, especially if buying new. The price of a new Hornet is around $900 which makes it cheaper than many used ZP canopies. 75 jumps later I am still having fun with it loaded at 1.24 lbs/sq ft. I also have several friends that like the Spectre for a new jumper ($1400+ though).

I highly recommend a Spectre or Triathlon for a first main.
What's your body weight? The Spectre is available up to 230 sq. ft. If you are looking for a wing loading of 1.0 you'd need to be about 210 lbs. body weight (I figure 20-25 pounds for a sport rig) on a 230. The Tri is available up to 260 sq. ft.
In any case, try to get ahold of demo canopies before you make up your mind. There are a lot of good mains out there; which one is perfect for you is a personal decision and you can best make that choice after flying them all!
Good luck!
pull and flare,
lisa

Agreed. The Hornet is an outstanding first main. It is Zero-p, lightly eliptical, inexpensive, and packs quite small compared to similar-sized mains from other manufacturers. Not sure why that is, but what it mean to you is that you can buy a Jav (which you stated was your choice of container) big enough for a say, 220 something or other, but would fit a Hornet 240 (assuming they made one that big). A rule of thumb that I tell people, whether or not others back me or not is this: If you weigh 250 in gear, then you should not buy an F-111 main smaller than that, BUT you can get a ZP main one size smaller and be fine.
A better idea in my mind would be for you to find a used rig online; something about the size of a student rig as you are a pretty big guy. That or something in the J-5 size range would fit the main you need to start. Jump that, with a 1:1 wingload, then work your way down to your optimal size as your experience permits. Once you get to that smaller size that suits you best, THEN go ahead and order that new Jav and main. I know PLENTY of guys your size that jump 190's or 210's, including my 230 pound, 65 year-old dad.
Chuck

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate your input. there are so many mains out there and I want to find one that I will be happy with in a couple of hundred jumps but one that will not kill me right off the bat. I weigh about 215 with out gear but in my jumpsuit. thanks again, marc