skreamer

3-rings

Hi guys
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the following 3-ring systems :
* mini-ring type 17
* mini-ring type 8
* large ring type 8
I am looking to buy my first new rig, it will be mainly for freeflying, but also a little RW. What would you recommend and why?
Thanks
Will

Will asks:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the following 3-ring systems :
* mini-ring type 17
* mini-ring type 8
* large ring type 8
I am looking to buy my first new rig, it will be mainly for freeflying, but also a little RW. What would you recommend and why?
DB: Mini ring Type 17 with type 3 reinforcing tape is pretty much the standard now on most rigs.
Mini ring Type 17 Integrity risers are pretty much out.
Mini rings on Type 8 is a configuration that is not recommended by the RWS.
Large rings (std rings) on Type 8 has the highest mechanical advantage and webbing strength/longevity.
Here is one you forgot to mention; it is the configuration for type 17 that is the best, but is rarely seen.
Large rings on type 17!
This is the best mechanical configuration for type 17, but is rarely seen.
I do have a pair of type 17 risers with standard rings that I built in 1987 that have 400+ jumps on.
One of the openings was in the category of ultra brutally fast/hard. When I say ultra brutally fast/hard, how does stitches popped on dive loops, deformed delta/stainless connector links and broken lines sound!!
I did not cut away, but had to land with rear risers, as both steering lines were broken!
These type 17 risers with standard rings did not fail on this opening despite not having the type 3 reinforcing tape as used in currently manufactured type 17 risers!
BTW: The canopy was a PD 210. I believe line dump was the cause of this monster opening.
Now jumping a Cobalt 135 on Mini ring Type 17 risers. (I'm 195 OTD)
Dave Brownell
Mesa, AZ