piisfish

clear your airspace before swooping

Clearing the airspace wasn't the major problem. Crossing the runway so low was the first problem!!!

Clearing the airspace doesn't always work. It's easy to miss things and think you have clear airspace. Crossing the runway below 500ft where planes are most likely to be is just plain stupid.

Clearing the airspace wasn't the major problem. Crossing the runway so low was the first problem!!!

Clearing the airspace doesn't always work. It's easy to miss things and think you have clear airspace. Crossing the runway below 500ft where planes are most likely to be is just plain stupid.

Agreed.

You can see that the guy is pulling a fairly high degree of turn (I didn't count exactly), but he hasn't developed the basic airmanship to know that he shouldn't cross the runway at a low altitude. It's classic 'putting the cart before the horse' behavior, he knows how to throw a big turn, just not where to do it.

If you look at the layout of the airport, and the direction of the resulting swoop, you can see that he could have started and completed his turn on the other side of the runway with just a very slight change in the final direciton of the swoop. Really, he could have even done the turn on the correct side of the runway, and carved about 15 degrees right on the roll-out, and ended up swooping the exact same line.

in some places (not in this case apparently) you can fly over the runway and even land on it.

Granted, if there is no traffic, you can land anywhere you want.

However, in this case, as I described, overflying the runway wasn't an 'essential' part of the line he swooped, and when faced with the choice to overfly the runway or not, with no benefit to overflying it, the pilot chose to overfly the runway.

I cross the runway at my DZ sometimes. Certain lines I like to swoop require you to overfly the runway, and I only do so after checking for traffic and locating the jump plane in the pattern (we only fly one jump plane at a time). If there's any traffic (canopy or aircraft) or I cannot locate the jump plane, I choose a different line.

And lets be clear....this type of example is not specific to swooping. All parachutist could benefit from understanding the specifics of this case and understand what went wrong. In most cases, its best not to cross an active runway while low under canopy.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

In most cases, its best not to cross an active runway while low under canopy.

Good point. A good rule of thumb is to lay out your pattern so that it's all on one side or the other of the runway. You may have to modify your pattern, or land in a different area than you're used to, but those are far better options than getting hit by a plane making a go-around.

Wow. That's a mistake you only make once - you either learn and don't do it again or you're unlucky and land 6 ft under...
Never cross the runway at such a low altitude...
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

>I'd rather cross the center of a runway at 200 feet than fly thru a downwind leg at 800 feet...

I wouldn't. A skydiving aircraft at 800 feet is going to be on the lookout for canopies, and skydiving aircraft are the most likely threat at most DZ's. (And at 800 feet both of you have a lot of options.) If a skydiving aircraft has to go around at 100 feet due to someone on the runway, he is going to have _very_ few options, and if you are in his way, his choices may be you or the other jumper.

it's not a good plain to paint a skydiving aircraft camo

First off, I'm willing to bet it wasn't the DZ that painted the aircraft. It's probably an ex-military aircraft, and they got it with that paint job. Unless you plan to cover the cost of a repaint, I wouldn't fault the DZ for the color of their plane.

The bigger issue is that the runway isn't painted camo, and the plane wasn't in a place you wouldn't expect it to be. As a jumper present at the DZ at the time of the incident, the canopy pilot should hve been well aware of the DZ operations for the day, to include - wind direction and the landing/take-off direction for the day, the number of planes operating that day, and the status of those planes at the time of his jump. All of this would have pointed toward a check of the upwind end of the runway and approach path before crossing the runway.

Take a look at the video, it's easy to see the plane sitting at the end of the runway in the one frame when the camera catches it. Seeing that it's the far end of the runway, that plane was either sitting there the whole time this jumper was under canopy, or was taxiing (making it even more visible) the whole time, in either case, the jumper had ample time to locate the aircraft.

Another perfect example how people claim they can whip big turns in the landing area with other traffic are just insane.

If they missed a PLANE on a RUNWAY... Think how easy it is to miss a canopy that could be almost anywhere.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Another perfect example how people claim they can whip big turns in the landing area with other traffic are just insane.

If they missed a PLANE on a RUNWAY... Think how easy it is to miss a canopy that could be almost anywhere.

X2

Unless you are jumping at a DZ operating a single 182 you can't "clear your airspace", and even with only three other variables in the air that is dubious.

You clear your airspace by not swooping in traffic, do a low pass or a full altitude clear and pull so you have your own airpsace, period.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I think - like mentioned on the youtube comments already - it's not a good plain to paint a skydiving aircraft camo. It is definitely the jumpers fault but still...

That is just a silly excuse, even with a that low video quality, without pausing or without slowing down the video its easy to spot the plane as it is a big black blop on long light gray line.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Clearing your airspace is like checking the water for crocodiles. You can only find out that something IS there.

I like that!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA