yoink

Anonymous posting option in Incidents

As a result of this discussion:

tonyhays

***I stand by my comments. People who are involved in tandem incidents and blab about those incidents on open forums such as this one are looking for legal trouble.

A sad fact in today's reality, unfortunately. Perhaps posting information anonymously? The profile nazi's would probably go crazy, but at least it could start a discussion.

Perhaps we could consider an option which allows people to post Tandem-related incidents anonymously, without having to create a new username. A set of rules for the use of this process would need to be developed.

When a post is created with this tag, firstly it's given either a unique and disposable username, (or there's just one account used to post it - "Whistleblower?" maybe ;)), then it's IP is automatically deleted, and then it has to be approved by a moderator before it's actually posted to the forum.

Information can then be posted anonymously while still having a review process to ensure that the system is being used properly.

I suspect that the mods will want a 'not necessary for anonymity" button which will send the user a PM letting them know that they should post it under their own username for a while to cut down on everyone using it.

yoink

then it's IP is automatically deleted

I don't see the need in this as the moderators could use the IP address to help weed out spam/pissed off users. Further, neither the company nor the servers live in the US and I believe I recall one of the admins saying they feel no obligation to provide information to anyone regarding hurt feelings.

yoink

I suspect that the mods will want a 'not necessary for anonymity" button which will send the user a PM letting them know that they should post it under their own username for a while to cut down on everyone using it.

How would they send the user a PM if they didn't know who it was and the system removes all PII from the post?

Now, with that said, there is a Medical Matters forum at the AOPA board that allows anonymous posting (with moderator approval) and has proven to be very useful for people to get information regarding how to navigate the FAA medical certification system. I don't know of any enforcement or even attempts based on any of the things posted on there (and there are many users who are of the mindset that what the FAA doesn't know wont ground you).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

There are pros and cons to such an implementation, and the cons are quite heavy as well.

At this stage, I won't completely rule it out as a future possibility, but just share where our thinking is on the matter.

The world is slowly moving away from anonymity in online forums, and forcing people to be held responsible in some capacity to what they say. And this has both positive and negative effects, the positive one is that it's harder to spread false information without being called out while the negative, is that some information may not come out as a result.

Anonymity within the incidents forum would aid in the putting force of sensitive information that may not otherwise be leaked. But it will also allow users an avenue of trolling and or otherwise spreading false information with little consequence.

A possible way to achieve the former without the latter, may be to make it so that the post will be made under the user's real username, but only be visible to administrators of the site, while appearing anonymous to regular site members. Allowing the prevention of being called out as a whistleblower, while at the same time allowing us to follow up on issues of trolling or false information. But this is the closest to anonymous I could see as possible, a completely anonymous platform would allow for too many avenues of abuse.