tbrown

Incidents Forum Needs Tighter Control

Two recent fatalities have pointed up the need for tighter control over posts on the Incidents forum. One was Jessica Edgeington's unfortunate death in Deland. A number of Deland jumpers expressed their open contempt for dropzone.com and its "armchair quarterbacks" and said we could just chill out a while before they exposed Jessica to the flaming trolls.

Second was yesterday's tragic loss of Bud LaPointe at Elsinore, during the SOS Record jumps. The thread was no sooner started than one asshole immediately labelled Bud a "dangerous jumper", then Asshole #2 started whining about how Elsinore is an "unsafe dropzone" because he was once cut off by a swooper there (poor baby, that NEVER happens anywhere else....).

There is one safeguard to the Incidents forum, in that it can only be accessed by registered dropzone users. However, that is no longer enough. I now feel it is necessary to require pre-screening by the monitors before ANY reports or comments can be posted on Incidents. So many comments are simply flaming, trolling, or otherwise completely irrelevant that they have destroyed this website's reputation. There was once a time when dropzone.com represented a real skydiving community, one that even hosted its own boogies. Those days are long gone. It's time dropzone did something to lift its reputation out of the gutter or throw in the towel. At the very least, you could show more RESPECT for our fallen comrades.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I might add there was also a time when the Forums listed the responsible monitors for each Forum, right at the top of the page. I went looking for that last night, as I wanted to message whichever monitor was asleep at the wheel for Incidents - but the monitor listings are no longer there. This is inexcusable.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The names you're looking for are at the bottom of each forum between the post links and the icon legend. See the attachment.

Clicking the individual links will take you to your selection's profile. The profiles have a link to send a private message, immediately under the personal profile information.

I understand why you're angry--I even agree with you--but you're mistaken if you think it was ever any different.

I hope the man in charge comes along soon to address this, but I figured that in the meantime, you'd want to be able to reach out to the appropriate moderators.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I pruned out the posts from that thread as well as others as soon as I noticed the thread. To date I have yet to receive a single message from anyone alerting me to specifically monitor or edit that thread.

If you look at the moderators (Rhonda posted where the list is) know that we are online when we can be but several of us have small children and are not at the computer 24/7 to monitor threads. The posting volume is too high to have a "must screen all posts prior to being published" policy since at least two of us are frequently away from dropzone.com for 2-3 days due to job and family commitments, but we can hop on and due quick edits if we are alerted to the need to do them.

We are always looking for an additional set of eyes to look at the posts and alert us if we are not in front of a computer since we tend of have email alerts set up if we get notified of issues.

If you feel that the forum needs a new format please also send messages to Sangiro and Meso since they ultimately are the ones that appoint moderators and give the moderators the guidelines under which we operate.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com