SivaGanesha

an introduction--and a concern about a censored message from a fatality thread

Hello,

I wanted to ask the "greenies" why my message posted to the following thread:

"Fatality - Ontario, CA - 27 April 2008"

dated:

"Apr 30, 2008, 7:50 PM"

was censored and sent to the Recycle Bin? I recall at the time there were some concerns expressed about the content of the message but I was trying to express my condolences in the best way I knew how--and I didn't fully understand either the concerns or the actions you appear to have taken.

This concerned a thread in the 'Incidents' forum regarding the first ever fatality at Skydive SWOOP in Dundas, Ontario, Canada involving a skydiver named Ahmed.

Perhaps I never properly introduced myself when I initially joined these forums so let me do so now. My first jump was on May 28, 1983 at Skydive SWOOP--then known as the South Western Ontario Organization of Parachutists in Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada. Back in the day I made 81 jumps on a log book I no longer have, but subsequently returned to the sport in the USA and completed my A license at Skydance Skydiving. I'm not current at the moment but recently did 90 minutes in the tunnel and expect to get back in the air soon.

Although I didn't personally know Ahmed, his death--being the first at the DZ where I initially started--cause me personal grief. The censorship of my message seemed to me to cut me off from an ability to share that grief with other members of the skydiving community, and I feel I've earned the right to understand why you did that. More recently, I've lost several friends of mine I did know personally at Skydance Skydiving and have attended their ash dives/funerals.

Just trying to understand what was going on since this censorship felt weird to me. Thank you!
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I suspect it may be difficult to find the moderator that took action on that thread (7 years ago now), as there's a good chance they are no longer an active mod on the site.

I have however taken a look at the thread in question and your post. At the time, we were actively working at making the incidents thread specifically about details to that incident, causes and implications etc.

Your post was primarily a 'blue skies' post, and we had just created the Blue Skies section. The moderator may have been better off moving your post to that thread, but at the time I imagine they deemed it to be not directly discussing the safety issues of the incident and more the person themselves.

I see you had re-posted your message in the Condolences thread for Ahmed anyway, so you were able to express your thoughts.

(http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3194566)

And there's a facebook group for him that still gets the occasional post:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/12483762697/

Cheers,

Peter
started at GBSPC at Grand Bend
occasionally drop by at SWOOP near Hamilton