pchapman

Messaging back when the other's messaging is turned off

More than once I've gotten a message from someone who forgot that their settings are to not accept messages (and didn't enter other contact info).

Then it is impossible, other than to spam a thread, to get back to them to tell them to "turn on your messages!".

I wonder if the default behaviour could be changed, so that if someone chooses "no messages", they can still receive a message, but only in reply from someone they actually messaged.

Other possibilities exist too to get around this conundrum.

I've had the same problem.

Sometimes people might want to send a hit-and-run message, where they knowingly don't want to receive a reply. I don't think we want to remove that option. It's been done to me. Seems kind of odd, but hey, user choice.

But the software could at least issue a warning message, letting the sender know that their replies are disabled. That way, if it's what they want, they could leave it disabled. Or if it's not what they want, it prompts them as a reminder to turn it back on.