OHCHUTE

All this before first landing?

I wouldn't compare flying under a canopy too much with flying an airplane. It's very different and confusing if you look at flying a canopy from an airplane pilot's perspective when you start jumping.

Just don't worry too much and enjoy your first jump course. And it might be better for you when you leave your flying and flight instructor knowledge at home for that day and start absorbing all the new information instead comparing.

What Suuz says.

BTW, I have a sneaking suspicion I know who this OP is. Ochute - am I right?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Not one you'll be doing on your first jump! haha pretty much a dropping of the left arm and a bit of the shoulder to spill air off your right side.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

OK, I already know I'm decending while under canope but I need to know how to level off, slow, turn one way, perhaps turn back the other way, slow fly and stall, recover from stall etc. Will they give me the chance to practice all this before I'm in the pattern and preparing to commit to a landing? Like I need to know how this acts before getting down in there. Free fall doesn't seem as important to learning how to land while up high before it's actually time to land. I'm not sure why much of the first jump is concentrated on free falling, not on slow flying the chute while practicing turns?

Where are you doing your First Jump Course and have you made that first jump yet? I am curious how things worked out.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I would also like to know.

OCHUTE, you are seriously making things too technical. Everything you are asking here will be explained in the course, don't jump the gun and get to conclusions before you even do the course. You will know this as instructor, that those students are.....

The chute you will jump with is slow, made for students. If you were to jump from 10k agl, you will probably fly for 45min or longer. You will be so tired, you will take your hands out the toggles, and probably not flare correctly.

The FJC is like PPL, it was designed to cater for the dumbasses out there too, and be pretty much foolproof.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

There's one very important thing I've learned since I started jumping (still a newbie at 395 jumps, thank you...)

Never use the phrase, "I know..." in conjunction with skydiving. Events will transpire that WILL prove you wrong.

Go in with an empty cup, and let your instructors fill it.

(and like another wise one here said, "Get off the internet.")

Good luck.
T.I.N.S.

BTW what movement do you need to do to do a 360 to the left on your belly?

I think you should listen to Remster's advice at this point. Looks like you're overworking this. The canopy you'll be flying is tantamount to a boat, and you'd have to work very hard to hurt yourself.

Regarding rotations in freefall, there are many ways to do that, all of which involve some form of asymmetric body position. Which one works for you depends upon how aware you are of your body in freefall. When you first start, you're not going to have as much awareness as you'll have with a 1000 jumps. Listen to what your instructor tells you to do. ;)
We are all engines of karma