Andrewwhyte

Advertising that interferes with the content

I am constantly getting Choice Hotels ads that actually prevent me from seeing the text of what I am trying to read or type. The ad scrolls with the screen so the only way to access what is below it is to sequentially refresh until a new ad is presented that doesn't intrude. This really sucks.

You may have adware that needs to be cleaned.

Or, it could be a pop-up that can be blocked if you use Firefox and supplement it with Ad-Blocker. (But it may be something the site techies can address.)

Or you could just surrender to the inevitable and stay at a Choice Hotel.

I have spoken to the ad team and there shouldn't be any pop-up ads, but they have said they are allowing 'roll over' ads, but it is my understanding that these should be easier in closing or avoid.

If you can please screen shot this ad next time you see it and attach it to the post so I can see how obstructive it is and in turn, if it seems like it may have a blatant negative affect on the usability, I can then request that the ad be removed from the site.

Set Hide "My Stuff" Menu: to Yes under settings and you won't even get the side ads.

Only drawback is you have to click on Home to logout.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Thanks for the screenshots...

Yeah, I'm not happy with that. Sangiro always made sure that the ads weren't obtrusive, and these definitely interfere with the usability of the site.

I'll speak to both Sangiro and the ad department and try to see if we can get these roll overs removed as well, it'd be more understandable if they didn't obstruct the page content, but I can see how that'd be annoying with the way it is now.

Really?

You're still getting these choice hotel ads? Or are you referring to another one? Please take screenshots and post them in this thread - anyone who gets any ads.

Though even being able to identify what ad it was will help remove it quicker.

These ads are really difficult to replicate and I've spent days browsing now without seeing any, so it makes it more difficult to fix, it was my assumption that the hotels had been taken off.

I've been in daily correspondence with the ad team and they too have been in daily talks with the ad-host in getting them removed.

As far as I was aware, the choice hotel ads had been removed about a week ago now. And we're currently working on getting the scorecard crap taken off too. It was difficult to track them down as they eventually appeared to be tied to a beacon tag.

I'm still getting them too. Every few ads is one of them. They look exactly like the screenshots already posted to this thread - but here's a couple more for you anyway. :)
I notice it looks like a Canadian ad - I wonder if it is only being served to Canadian IP addresses? That might explain why you don't see it, but I see it every few page refreshes.

"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Thanks for the screenshots.

I now recall the situation with these ads - they are annoying and I'm still rallying at getting them pulled altogether.

Though I was told that these expandable ads have a 1/24 frequency cap on them, that is - that users should only get that ad once in a 24 hour period and no more.

Judging by the fact that you have been able to post 2 images, I assume that this isn't the case? Are you guys seeing them more often than that? If so, I'll put forward an urgent request to get that frequency issue sorted.

I see them all the time.

The ads seem to rotate based on time, not on refreshes. If I see that ad (or any other ad) and hit refresh right away, it reloads the page with the same ad. I can hit refresh a bunch of times and still get the same ad. If I wait a minute or so and hit refresh, I get a different ad.

A few minutes later it will be back. I normally get the ad several times in one session. I can come back for another session later in the day and see it several times again. I haven't counted, but it shows up every few page views.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Thanks for the information.

I have already contacted Name Media and asked them to sort out the issue with the choice hotel ads, again. They're going to be in contact with the ad host and try sort it out.

The ad issue will be fixed, and hopefully shortly - unfortunately the timing is out of my control, but I'm hoping by the end of the week it will have changed.

I've requested that they try remove the ad completely and if they feel the need to allow expandable ads, that these ads expand in a way that doesn't interfere with the content of the site at all.

An update on the situation.

I got just word that these ads have been removed. They were difficult to replicate since they only targeted Canadian users, but they should be completely gone now.

There should be no pop-ups or interfering expandable ads running now.

If you see anything, let me know.

Oh my god...

Okay, I'm going to hold off contacting them again just in case it took some small time frame for the request to reach the people who run the ad server or something... If you're still receiving the ads this week (any time from this afternoon), just shout again and I'll get in contact with 'em and find out why they're still up.

Thanks guys, apologies...

I have already contacted the ad department and told them that the 'fix' that was performed didn't solve it.

And upon typing this I have received the following reply:

"I checked with Travel Ad Network and the Choice Hotel ads were not pushed live again since last week.

Perhaps the user should try deleting his cookies? It could be cached, especially if he accidentally clicked on the site and visited the site.

Hopefully the user won’t see the ad again after deleting his cookies. If he does, please let me know."

This back and forth is certainly a pain in the ass, but if you can clear your cookies, and let me know if you get it again. I want these things gone as much as you do :|

Okay guys, let's try this again...

I've spoken to those in charge of the ads, they have reached out to those actually serving the ads and they confirmed that they had mistakenly only removed 1 of the 2 Choice Hotel related ad campaigns.

They say they have no removed the second one too and that you Canadians should not be getting any more of the annoying ads.

But again, if you see anything - give me a shout and I`ll try to get it removed as always.