JohnRich

The "In Memory Of" forum

The "Blue Skies, In Memory of" forum is intended, as far as I know, for us to honor our fellow skydivers when they pass away.

Every once in a while someone sneaks in an entry for a non-skydiver, like a famous musician or a celebrity.

Do you think that forum is an appropriate place for threads about non-skydivers?

My opinion:
- Keep "In Memory Of" for skydivers only.
- If some non-skydiver person has passed away that you feel moved to talk about, that's great, but put it in the Bonfire forum.

I think there's a gray area where someone can pass away who was heavily involved in the sport but not technically a skydiver and it would be justified to post there. Skybill's post about his wife who did one tandem (so maybe not the best example) but was actively at the dropzone seemed appropriate for that forum, IMO. A famous person who someone associates with their skydiving experience, more appropriate for Bonfire, IMO.

So, maybe a better example would be a dz pilot who had never jumped. I think a post for that person, esp. if they died while flying jumpers, is appropriate.

I think there's a gray area where someone can pass away who was heavily involved in the sport but not technically a skydiver and it would be justified to post there. Skybill's post about his wife who did one tandem (so maybe not the best example) but was actively at the dropzone seemed appropriate for that forum, IMO. A famous person who someone associates with their skydiving experience, more appropriate for Bonfire, IMO.

So, maybe a better example would be a dz pilot who had never jumped. I think a post for that person, esp. if they died while flying jumpers, is appropriate.

In other words , "Skydiving Family!" , Bad Spot Bill, adn His Brother Claud were both members of the skydiving family, and litetrally lived at The Perris DZ,Nver jumping, but taking care of jumpers, so they were part of our family!

There's a parallel discussion in the Dick Winters memorial thread. As I said there, I think it's OK to post in that forum for anyone in the parachuting community, not just civilian skydiving, but also military parachuting and even BASE. As parachutists - all of whom would buy the farm on any given jump if we didn't get an as-yet undeployed parachute over our heads in time - we're all cousins, even if not bothers/sisters.

I agree that someone not associated in any way with parachute jumping or jumpers should usually not be honored there.

Define 'skydivers'. The tandem students killed in plane crashes? Do they count? Jump pilots? Those members of the DZ family that may have no jumps but are there each weekend as active parts of our community (ie, the guy from Eloy that did so much work at the DZ, but I believe didn't jump)? How many jumps constitutes 'skydivers'? since some are throwing a fit over my Dick Winters post.

To me, Dick Winters is more of a skydiver than I am... he jumped into war, loaded with gear, getting shot at,, watching friends die while simultaneously leading others to survive. He may not have the jump numbers that many of us do, but he has done what most of us could not.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Not a big enough problem to worry about.

Yet you were compeled to post to it!:P

Imagine how fucked up this place would be without my opinion. Go post something in the bonfire.:D

Ouch!:D

That numbness went away huh?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Not a big enough problem to worry about.

Yet you were compeled to post to it!:P

Imagine how fucked up this place would be without my opinion. Go post something in the bonfire.:D

I been wondering who must have sniveled so much...;) Thanks for the answer!B|

Sherry Schrimsher comes to mind...

Schrimsher here, oldest son of Sherry. Many folks do not think she was a jumper. She has nearly 500 jumps, most made in the 60-70's and again in the late 90's. Her last jump was a Tandem in 2000 where her and Jerry renewed their Wedding Vows after 35 years. Jerry passed away 6 months later. If my history is correct I believe she was one of about 35 women jumping in the US back in the day. Most seem to remember her as President of USPA, but she was also the Chief Judge for many of the Nationals in Oklahoma, and world record attempts, including the 400 way. She is a pilot, jumpmaster and rigger as well. Oh, and a great mom! Just thought I would share some of her history so folks may know a bit more. :)While Jerry passed 10 years ago Sherry is still alive. I do keep thinking of adding Jerry to the Blue Skies thread, but I guess I am waiting on the "right" time so to speak.

Personally, I believe if they are associated with our sport in any way, they belong. Especially our Paratroopers, current and past. Not only did they assist in progressing our sport in many cases, more importantly our freedom thus giving us the right to jump. IMO

Thanks for the info.B| What a kewl family history to come from!

I would not trade growing up on a DZ back in the 70-80's for anything on earth! I feel blessed to have been a part of that history in our sport. Very lucky!

I knew you would stop in and make the correction J...if memory serves you made quite a few 'tandem' jumps while still in the oven? Wink

Yeah, she made about 24 jumps with me, but I have tried and she wont let me log them!! :S Probably explains why I went straight to the fetal position on my first few static lines. :P

Blue Skies - In Memory Of
A forum where we can post memories and tributes to our friends who stayed for a while and left before us.

:|

No where in there John do I see where it says its exclusive to skydivers.

However, obviously, this is a skydiving discussion board, so most of which appears in this forum will be about skydivers having passed, but I still see there is no "sneaking" about it if/when someone posts about someone other than a skydiver.

So, unless the HH, says otherwise... IMO, get over it John.

No where in there John do I see where it says its exclusive to skydivers.

However, obviously, this is a skydiving discussion board, so most of which appears in this forum will be about skydivers having passed, but I still see there is no "sneaking" about it if/when someone posts about someone other than a skydiver.

So, unless the HH, says otherwise... IMO, get over it John.

My oh my, aren't you grumpy this evening!
Do what you want.
90% of the poll respondents agree with me.
And moderators have removed celebrities in the past.

My oh my, aren't you grumpy this evening!
Do what you want.

Not really, you asked a question, I gave my answer and "yes" I will.

90% of the poll respondents agree with me.

So what?

And moderators have removed celebrities in the past.

Again, so what.

John, how about you leave it to the mods to say what stays and what goes in the "In Memory Of" forum?

Maybe that should have been an option to your poll?

That is all.

how about you leave it to the mods to say what stays and what goes in the "In Memory Of" forum?

Just as you felt compelled to offer your opinion on this matter, I believe that the moderators are also interested in the opinions of the forum membership. That's how we shape things here. We give input, and they can choose to either disregard it or accept it. Many of the things about this forum, both the structure and the rules, have been shaped by user opinions, just like these. Shirley, you're not proposing that we shouldn't be allowed to express our opinions, are you? Because if you are, then you just violated your own rule... Would you like to borrow my Oscar-the-grouch avatar? He seems to suit you better than your current Cookie Monster. Or maybe you could just go have some milk and cookies and that would make the Cookie Monster feel better.

For the record... and for the consideration of the mods and the rest on the board, the fact that prose posted a thread about Dick Winters in the Blue Skies -- In Memory of Forum is "a-okay" with me even if I'm in the 10% minority on that one.

Have a nice day John.

Sorry all, sometimes I just can't hack John's (and many others) supersillious-ness around here and I type before I think better of it. :S

a thread about Dick Winters in the Blue Skies -- In Memory of Forum is "a-okay" with me even if
I'm in the 10% minority on that one.

Where did you get the idea that I was opposed to the Dick Winters thread? He's a paratrooper, and
that makes him a skydiver. A damned fine one. Nor should you presume that the 90% who voted
"skydivers only" are against the Dick Winters thread. You just made several incorrect assumptions,
against 55 people, and then let yourself get all upset and grumpy based upon those incorrect
assumptions.

Before charging off at windmills like Don Quixote, perhaps you should just ask first, instead of
assuming something incorrect.

Now that you've been straightened out on that, perhaps you should reconsider your opposition to
those who are against the use of the "In Memory" forum for celebrities.