cloud9

Risers

Hey Gang
I recently bought a used Reflex container, with a Triathlon 175 main. The rig came with mini risers. I happened to go to the Reflex web site for some info and found out something a little disturbing. They say they make two types of mini risers one rated for 175lbs and one rated for 200lbs. I have no idea which set I have. I'm about 187lbs so I guess it could be important. I sent them an e-mail about 5 days ago and no reply since. I went to Aerodyne triathlon's web site and sent them an e-mail. Their reply (promptly I might add) was they make only one type of mini riser with no weight limit. They do not think the ones I have are manufactured by them. Have any of you heard about this weight restriction before? I have about 10 jumps on this rig with no problems so far. But of course the problem may be a future riser failure! Would you think this would be body weight or exit weight? Anyone have any thoughts about this? Any Reflex owners out there?
Thanks in advance
Larry
Some fun eh!

Hey cloud9,
Generally the risers come with the container not the canopy so I would venture to guess that you should talk to reflex about it. I would say that you should speak with your rigger about these concerns, he or she will be better able to answer your questions than we do. Good luck in your search.
-T1
C-30757

Anytime you are talking about canopies, containers or parts and pieces you are talking exit weight - your actual weight "out the door" is what is important.
Do you know the weight of the person the rig was built for? The factory probably decides which to send based on the weight of the person ordering the rig; if that person was btwn. 175 and 200 lbs you probably have the heavier duty ones.
The person who sold it to you also may have changed out the risers at some point. Many companies other than container manufacturers build and sell risers; you could have a pair of "aftermarket" risers and they could be just fine for your weight... kinda hard to tell.
pull and flare,
lisa

Thanks for the input, this is just one of those things. Aerodyne has pretty much been ruled out. The guy who used to own the rig I'm told was about my weight. But I don't know that he was that weight in 1997 when he bought the rig.(if he's anything like me he was 20 lbs. lighter) I'm still waiting for Fliteline systems to reply via e-mail to my questions. I bought the rig from Action Air so I think I'm going to call them and see if they can give me the previous owners phone number. Anyway thanks for the help.
Some fun eh!

For the record, I thought some of you may have interest in this question asked on rec.skydiving. db
Jaime asks:
>>Can anyone tell me anything about integrity risers?
>>Thanks for your time.
Integrity risers were first dreamed up because of the fear of riser failure only on the side with an RSL connection, during a very fast/hard opening, which would result in a main-reserve entanglement.
(Yes, it has happened.
Integrity risers are built without a grommet in the riser for the cable loop. Instead, there is a tab on the ring side of the riser that has the grommet. Integrity risers are installed on the harness ring in reverse (riser rings toward rig). Integrity risers are stronger because of their absence of a grommet hole.
There are two negatives regarding integrity risers. The first is the fact that the loop mechanical advantage is close to half that of conventional risers, which in fact reduces the total mechanical advantage to close to half also. The reason that they have reduced mechanical advantage is because there is no longer a loop around the small ring, but a near straight line between the loop attachment point and the locking cable.
There is in fact recorded cases, where under a high G spinning malfunction, where the release cable was pulled into the grommet somewhat, due to the higher forces, which resulted in a very hard release cable pull. When you consider this factor combined with the high friction of soft housings, you can see the potential of a deadly combination.
This is not just my opinion, but is one shared by many in the industry.
As far as stainless housings, I recommend keeping them clean, along with clean cables with a little silicone applied. Regular maintenance will keep them at a low coefficient of friction.
The second negative is the possibility of not getting a riser release because of a combination of lower harness rings locations and a somewhat face to earth under a low drag malfunction. Rigs/harnesses made today are made with this in mind to assure high harness rings locations.
I do not use an RSL, but I do like the strength advantage of a hole-less TY-17 riser.
As far as a canopy with high spin rates associated with malfunctions being used with integrity risers, I myself have no problem with integrity risers, because of the factor of housing/cable maintenance.
I once had a very fast/hard, brutal opening on my Spectre 170 with integrity risers. When I examined the loop/grommet/cable point there was no evidence of penetration of the cable into the grommet, which in my opinion, gave me a better "feel" for the total mechanical system.
I recommend the use of the short metal excess cable housings installed in the stow channel in all risers, be it type 8 or type 17. These housings will prevent release cable capture/binding after a severe riser twist due to a severe canopy spin. 1/4" OD X 0.035" wall Teflon tubing works great also. One tack with Nylon wax cord 1/4"-3/8" from the inserted end holds it in place.
I'm not trying to put down type17 integrity risers, as I have used them myself.
Ultra blue skies,
Dave Brownell
DB Technologies
Mesa, AZ

I spoke with David Burrows of Fliteline Systems through e-mail today. He informed me that Fliteline no longer makes the integrity risers for the reasons stated by DBTECH. He also informs me that there are many people over 250 lbs. using the T17 risers with no ill effects. In fact his exit weight was 270 lbs. He also stated he jumps a reinforced riser which you can tell by (red tape within the riser). Thanks to you all and David at Fliteline I can jump with my risers and feel confident in their ability.
Larry
Some fun eh!