shermanator

"like" button

I suggest getting a "Like" button, like what facebook, and other social networks use. If I see a posting that I like, then I would click the button, and it would show up in the post that "username Likes" . This would eliminate the need for useless dribble of "+1" type posts, as well as make it easier to follow threads by eliminating all of those pointless threads of agreement.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I was just looking through the suggestions checking whether or not to suggest this myself. However, referring to a "Like" as known from Facebook can be misleading, as every "like" on FB actually creates a link, resulting in immense masses of data.

Many forums use "thank you" or "reputation" systems. I would highly appreciate the implementation of such a system, as it could massively improve readability by means of user-side filtering.

I just read many posts in the Incidents forum, many of which were repetetive clutter, with only a few ones really sticking out once found. Being able to "repute" such posts (and the respective posters) could streamline the reading experience.
I have been a somewhat long time dz.com member and thus know a handful of users usually posting excellently and worth reading, but it would be handy if there was an indicator of quality for individual post or at least posters. Like maybe the youtube Thumbs up or down system which indicates both pluses and minuses, which is good for a post on a controversial subject.

I guess it comes with a high bandwidth demand (we're referencing FB and YouTube/ElGoog here!), but it would be nice to hear if it has/is being considered and what the lowdown is.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

It is something that may happen in future on the site, though it would likely be more of a 'thumbs up/thumbs down" style on the forums - if it were to take place. We've used several different post rating techniques on our sister site rockclimbing.com before.

While slightly off-topic considering what you were suggesting, we will probably implement a facebook 'like' button on the site in future too though, so one can like articles, videos and photos. Another feature which we have been testing on basejumper.com

That's something that would be implemented in the somewhat near future rather than the immediate. Our content management system runs its own forum software and would require creating a whole new piece of code from scratch to do create that feature. It holds merit and we may well implement something like it soon-ish, but can't say it is on the highest priority list at this stage.

That's something that would be implemented in the somewhat near future rather than the immediate. Our content management system runs its own forum software and would require creating a whole new piece of code from scratch to do create that feature. It holds merit and we may well implement something like it soon-ish, but can't say it is on the highest priority list at this stage.

Just curious, does the forum software use a SQL database? If so, it would be fairly trivial to add a column in the posts database and assign it as a number. Then in the template insert a PHP script to +1/-1 the post and have it directly update the DB.

Though that would probably cause a page reload without some fancy keyboard work.

Just an idea!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message