Geoff

Old ZP?

A friend of mine bought a used Stiletto real cheap. No idea how many jumps it has, but looks OK - no obvious wear or holes, but it flies and lands like sh#t.
My immediate reaction was that he needs a reline. He's not so convinced, and thinks the canopy itself is shot and needs replacing.
My understanding is that ZP basically doesn't distort or go porous with age, and as long as you keep patching or re-stitching any wear, and change the lines every few hundred jumps, it will basically last forever. I've certainly heard of ZP canopies with more than 2000 jumps.
Any opinions? Do ZP canopies eventually become so old that relining no longer helps?
Thanks
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
To the best of my knowledge you're correct. I've also heard of ZP canopies with A LOT of jumps... One PD Sabre with over 13,000 jumps which PD has taken to re-lining every 600 jumps for free - just to see how the canopy is doing. I assume that once the canopy is knackered (if ever) then they'll probably want it for display & advertising!
THat said, nylon does deteriorate, particularly if exposed to UV light for long enough... SO, I suppose that if it was jumped in AZ & left out in the sun for long enough...
Mike D10270.

My immediate reaction was that he needs a reline. He's not so convinced, and thinks the canopy itself is shot and needs replacing.

My guess is that it needs a reline. Any rigger or even an experienced canopy pilot should be able to check that in less than 5 minutes. ZP lasts a long time these days, unless this canopy was severely neglected by it's previous owner it's unlikely that the fabric has degraded to the point where it's unusable.
-
Jim

Your comment about the sun is an interesting one. I saw a Sabre which had been chopped and lost, and then found about a year later. It had actual holes in it where the Florida sun had burned through.
The owner was discussing with a rigger, and they were planning to patch it, replace the rusty slider stops, and then jump it again! I didn't get to see it fly, though.
Geoff

The canopy is likely out of trim and needs to be relined. Suspension lines don't maintain their shape (factory length) forever.
Your friend jumping the canopy that had been out in the sun for 1 year may find himself under his reserve after the canopy blows up on him. UV trashes nylon left exposed that long.
Respectfully,
SP

That would be or was a mistake unless they plan(ned) the jump as an intentional cutaway with a tertiary reserve. Nylon left in the sun and weather for a year is not airworthy and a responsible rigger would know this.
alan

Before putting any money into a reline I'd have a rigger do a pull test on the fabric. That will tell if it's shot or if it's worth relining. If you can't find a local rigger who knows how send it to PD and have them check it out. Depending on how cheap it was it might be worth the effort!
pull and flare,
lisa