danielcroft

Post/new thread auto mark read

My suggestion is to *NOT* have threads automatically marked as read after a certain amount of time after I've been into a forum. My preferred method is for threads to be marked as read only when I've entered that thread.

The problem I have is that when I am busy and I don't get to a forum for a while, there can be several hundred posts, many of which I'd like to read. I can't necessarily sit down for that amount of time and read them all in one shot. If I don't read them all at once, after a certain amount of time, every post is marked as read and then I lose track of where I was up to and miss stuff.

In other boards, what normally happens is that, if I go into a forum, basically nothing happens. I have to visit a thread for that thread to be marked as read. Is there any chance we could get this setting changed?

I honestly hope I'm missing a setting somewhere that I can change because that'd be a lot easier. :)

I know what you mean.

For example:

Open Bonfire. Read some threads but leave some others unopened and still marked as unread. Close browser. Later open new browser. When I go into Bonfire again the only posts/threads shown as new are those that have been posted since I closed the browser earlier. The ones that I previously left unread are now marked as read.

Not the end of the world, but would be nice if I'm just missing something in my set-up to stop that from happening.

That's definitely buggy. Sorry I haven't gotten to this, but I haven't actually seen it. Thanks for the bump!

I went ahead and submitted it.

I'll also think about the mark-as-read button a bit.
Killing threads since 2004.

Case in point (perhaps). Currently every post in this thread except mine are marked as new. WTF? Mine was the last post!

I haven't been around much recently (busy at work) and there are around 13000 new threads in general. There may be something useful in there for me but I can't be bothered figuring it out because everything will be marked read before I get the chance to get through it, even if I skim the first few pages.

I don't come here now because of this. I'd love to have the option for the forum not to arbitrarily mark stuff read that isn't and (apparently) mark things unread that are.

Any of the board mods/admins like to comment to the effect that this isn't possible or isn't available so that I can STFU and stop complaining?

There is a glitch that if you have not been in a forum for a very long time period it marks all the posts as unread again. It was reported a long time ago but this is a great time to bump it back up since the new site owners are trying to prioritize bug issues.

Any of the board mods/admins like to comment to the effect that this isn't possible or isn't available so that I can STFU and stop complaining?

The functionality does not currently exist in the software to do what you want. That's not to say it couldn't be developed at some point but right now it is not an option.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ok, I guess that means I'll STFU. ;)

All we need is slightly newer forum software, you know, like something developed since the industrial revolution? :P

Hey! This post WW2 tech, pal. 'Mercan ingenuity at its finest.

Anyway, it looks as though this time I might be the bearer of bad news. You're right, tracking is for the session only and it's built in to the forum program itself. I'm checking on what it would take to change that, but initial word is that, given the obscene amount of traffic in our forums, it might just be not possible right now. Hang tight.

There is a glitch that if you have not been in a forum for a very long time period it marks all the posts as unread again. It was reported a long time ago but this is a great time to bump it back up since the new site owners are trying to prioritize bug issues.

I knda like that glitch. :)
Had it happen to me in the Bonfire too. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.