peek

removing offensive post also removes all posts in thread

When the moderators remove an offensive post, it seems that a number of related posts also get deleted. (Posts in thread).

Perhaps an option for the moderators can be created to replace the offensive text in the post with something like "Offensive text removed by Moderator" and leave the responses to it.

Some of the responses are of value, and even stand alone rather well in their context.

I think it's a decent alternative solution. The problem becomes editing all the quotes of the offensive post, I would think...

Yes, editing by hand would be too much work. I was thinking of an automated way of zapping everything in the post and replacing it with an explanation,

First, a rule of thumb for everyone: always reply directly to the post you are referring to (directly to the person you are talking to) in a post, not just the last reply in a string. Most of the valuable content that gets culled from a thread because a post above it was removed by a Moderator happens because of this. The good post falls in the string below the bad one:

ORIGINAL
GOOD
GOOD
GOOD
GOOD
GOOD
BAD
GOOD (will go out with the trash)
GOOD (will go out with the trash)

If the Moderator catches the garbage post early enough, editing is an option. If the garbage has turned into multiple replies, it's just too much work.

If it's only one or two good posts that got removed, I will copy and paste each post into a PM to the original poster so he can put it back again. If there are too many of those, again it's just too much work.
Arrive Safely

John