tombuch

"My Stuff"

Gosh do I hate the recent change that places "My Stuff" in the top left. It completely alters the way the page formats and makes it tough for me to navigate. See the attached screen grab.

My monitor is a portrait display (unusual, I know), and the addition of the My Stuff block pushes everything else to the right, requiring that I use the bottom scroll bar to read or write posts. That's really inconvenient and adds a huge amount of mouse movement to page navigation. The change appears to have happened early Sunday morning, April 27.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I agree, having that "stuff" to the left makes things more difficult to read. There is also an additional add box for Google added below the stuff box on the left.

I understand the need for adds, however they shouldnt really interfere with the readers reading experience on the particular site. I think both that navigation box and that add box should go to the right, where they can be removed from view if the reader wishes.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I'd just like to say I agree completely. It makes the page look really cluttered and difficult to use.
Also every now and then a page comes up asking me if I want to go to Rockclimbing.com or base.com or something similar, while I understand that these are sister sites, if I wanted to go to them I would have typed their url into the address line. Its really irritating.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Although I don't have a portrait monitor, I have the same reaction to the waste of screen real estate from "My Stuff." I would prefer to have its contents in a horizontal top menu.
HW

^^^ what he said^^^

PULL!
jumpin_Jan
"Dangerous toys are fun but ya could get hurt" -- Vash The Stampede

Me 2.

If I want to go for a TANDEM (and I don't) I'd going looking and don't need have it thrust in my face all day long.

The 2" of tape on the left hand side of my screen works just fine tho'

Oh yes... the system is noticably slower too.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I don't really have a problem with "My Stuff", though I don't care for the way it reduces the forums. My real problem is with the extra time it is taking to do everything.

Once a page loads, "Done" appears in the status bar but it takes an additional 2 to 10 seconds until the page reacts to any input, even a simple scroll.

The friends list, the extra pics, even the avatar changes are nice, but if this impact on the usability remains, I'd rather have the old format back.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I wonder if it's possible to have the sidebar only at the forum and thread list levels.

Once you click into a thread you quickly scroll past anything in the sidebar and then it's just wasted whitespace.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I did discover that if you click Settings (Under the Blue menu bar) that you can change your Default Template Set:

Default; Post Information on Top, gives you back the space the poster's info and pic currently is.

Less scrunched, but you lose the profile pics and info... :(

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I did discover that if you click Settings (Under the Blue menu bar) that you can change your Default Template Set:

Default; Post Information on Top, gives you back the space the poster's info and pic currently is.

Less scrunched, but you lose the profile pics and info... :(

Thanks for the idea, but it didn't really help. See the attached screengrab.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Tom,

Go to settings and play around with the textbox settings to see if that helps. In your case, perhaps making the height > width "may" help. See attachment.

EDIT: Hmmmm... looking at it further... wonder if you can increase resolution on your screeen also.

Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Changing the textbox settings didn't help, and messing with resolution is a big no-no. Resolution changes are limited by the monitor, and making these alterations either makes the text too tiny to read at all, or causes the monitor to not display anything...try fixing that without a second monitor! (umm, yeah it can be done, but I've learned the hard way to leave my resolution alone)

It just really seems like there is a tremendous waste of really valuable screen real estate with those boxes on the left.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

I like the new layout and the new options. Haven't noticed any slow down in page loads, nor have I noticed the google ads that people are referring to (that could be because I'm running Firefox with ABP though).

Only issue I've had so far is that the link to my photos from the profile page takes me to my account page, not my photos.

Can someone tell me if user names have been removed from profiles? I can't seem to find them anymore.

When I click on your profile I see on the top Forums: Profile: diverds. It's in the same font that is now on the top of each forum as well (like Forums: Community: Bonfire).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Once a page loads, "Done" appears in the status bar but it takes an additional 2 to 10 seconds until the page reacts to any input, even a simple scroll.

Yes and it's very annoying. In opera, there is a button to stop the websites .css style sheet from loading. That gets the speed back but doesn't get rid of "My Stuff".

When was the last time anybody actually used the links in "My Stuff" anyway? I never use them.

I installed IE7 PRO AB, but the "My stuff" box still keeps the forum pushed far to the right, so in Tom's case, I don't think an AB is going to help.

Has anyone noticed the nifty new spell checker? Wonder if the guy who invented the little squiggly red line while at MS (now turned professional poker player) gets a royalty from that.. :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I haven't found an answer to the question about names in profiles being removed. Was this done intentionally? I had not being able to see someone's name when I click on the link to see their profile.

My gripe with this is that it makes it a whole hell of a lot easier to be an anonymous troll. We can't even say to go fill out your profile cause no one has names in their profile.

That really sucks!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I haven't found an answer to the question about names in profiles being removed. Was this done intentionally? I had not being able to see someone's name when I click on the link to see their profile.

My gripe with this is that it makes it a whole hell of a lot easier to be an anonymous troll. We can't even say to go fill out your profile cause no one has names in their profile.

That really sucks!

It goes beyound that IMO.

If it is a design change (and not simply a migration ommission) then it takes away alot from the community feel on here. We're not just cyber handles. We actually meet and spend time with many others from the community. Loosing names would take this place closer towards a cyber only feel.
Remster