miked10270

SAMURAI MAIN ??

Hi there,
It's about time I got a new "shiny thing":)Has anyone out there used Brian Germain's Samurai main canopy - loaded around 1.5-1.6lbs/ft2?
What's the glide like? What are the landings like? How does it compare to the vengeance, Stilletto, Sabre at a similar wing loading? What is it REALLY like compared to the Jonathon/Jedei?
Mike D10270.

I just put 25 jumps on a 150 loaded at 1.5. I can only compare it to an Alpha and a stilleto at the same loading.
The openings were fantastic. very brisk yet soft....not a snivel, snivel whack , but a constant slow opening.
It seemed to turn faster by pulling the rear riser than by using the toggles. I couldn't really do a barrel roll in this canopy at 1.5 because of the softer toggles, but on my alpha which is very snappy I can get above the canopy fairly easily. In other words the brakes are sort of deep compared to an Alpha with medium brakes and a stilleto with light brakes.
It executes braked turns fantastically. I was clearing a trailer park down wind at about 350' I flew a little away from the trailers did 90 braked turn to a cross wind landing, and realized I had enough altitude to do another 90 into the wind. That samurai pulled it off great.
Riser pressure was less than a stilleto, but a little more than the Alpha. It dove a fairly long time probably about the same as my Alpha or longer, and longer again than a stilleto. Because of the slower recovery from a dive you can hook higher and maintain speed more with a double front riser before you plane out. Planing out must/should be initiated by an aggressive bump on the toggles otherwise your landing will be clunky. It took me about 5 jumps to figure out where to flare for the sweet landing where as it took about 2 for the stilleto, and the alpha always lands sweet. But to it's credit the samurai holds on to some speed after a dive and it beggs to be surfed. The parachute seems to want to stay in a very slight dive for a long time unless you impose toggle input (or maybe if you intitate a dive it recovers to a steeper glide angle until you pop it back to normal flight).
At 1.5 I was getting back from some horrendous spots. This canopy really does great with the brakes released and pulling the rear risers out and down a little. The canopy also performed really well in turbulence. Everyone elses Canopy would be bucking but mine would be solid, even though the ride was bumpy, it was flying in control. I liked that.
I told Brian I did not like the slider colapse tabs as the are hard to grip, but your rigger could sew somthing on them.
For me 150 sq ft of airlocked canopy was a pain in the ass on a windy day after I was on the ground. My buddy has no problem with his 135. When I get one it will be a 135 at 1.7.
bloo skies
ramon

Very very slippy stuff. I think he calls it "blue" fabric although it comes in different colors. I really improved my packing habits when I was jumping it . I have no idea if it is exactly the same as PD.
You can call him, he is usually working from noon to 9:00PM. He'll tell you anything you want to know.
bloo skies
ramon