GPSJane

Updating of the database

I was just wondering if all the fatalities reported in this forum should not be added to the fatality database? The database is there for statistics but is really not very accurate if all the incidents are not added.

Just a thought.
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

I'm pretty sure the database is maintained by someone in their spare time and I believe that they are committed to updating it, perhaps just haven't had the time to do so yet?

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I don't think so.

Incidents added to the database are at the discretion of those who report them - there are many incidents reported in the forums which are never added to the database.

I know there is a moderator who checks what is added to the database before it is made available on the database but I don't think they add anything themself.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong ;)

I add all Fatalities reported in the forums to the database. There is a glitch right now and I am having issues adding incidents from 2007 but this will be cleared soon enough and I'll clear the backlog from 2007 when I have some time. If I am missing any from 2006 or earlier please PM me the links to those incidents and I'll key them in.

In addition to the incidents reported in the forums I read TONS of online news websites looking for anything that is the least bit related to skydiving in case they mention a fatality. I just keyed in one last week that was a military training accident in Israel in 2006 that never made the forums.

There are submission forms that I encourage everyone to use if they know of details of a fatality that is not already in the database. Also you can PM myself or one of the other Incident mods if you want a thread started and we will start one for you.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Firstly sorry I put this in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where else to put it.

And PhreeZone, thanks for the reply. I was really referring to recent events (2007) so that explains it. I had assumed that the database relied only on people submitting the incidents.