mountainman

Main for women...

like your attitude mountainman,but reading a previous post ,seems you haven't completed student training yet.ask your instructors about this,a forum like this has no idea of your,or your wifes abilities.
some dz's willgive a similar type canopy to you during training (depending on jm assessments),others will think it's way over the top.
your keen,great!,but slow down a little.
being a tandem master is the best job i ever had,but it takes a while to get there. hang in there.(i am referring to another post from mountainman.)
good luck ,
des

The Stiletto wasn't designed to be loaded that lightly and is not suitable for someone just off student status at the wingloadings it performs best at. Just so you know, when the Stiletto was originally introduced PD required that you have at least 600 jumps before flying it (with 200 of those jumps on a zero porosity canopy)... and today most major gear dealers (including the one I work for) probably won't sell you one until you have at least 200 jumps. Anyone that would sell you one right now (considering that you have done only one tandem) needs to be shot.
For a first main you should be looking at canopies that are easy to fly, pack and land and that have reliable opening characteristics. The Triathlon and Spectre are two that I think are excellent first canopies for any new jumper. If you are a more talented canopy pilot look at the Safire or PD's newest design (by the time you're buying gear it should be available).
des gives good advice... slow down! By the time you're off student status (over a year from now, right?) the equipment market is likely to have changed, and at this point you don't even know how good a canopy pilot either you or your wife are going to be. Learn all you can about the equipment but don't make any big decisions (like which main and what size) or purchases until after you've gotten yourselves at least partway through your AFF jumps.
pull and flare,
lisa

Thank you both for the information! We have actually moved our training up to this year (due to a very nice tax return). I don't mean to sound so "in a hurry", but, as you can tell, I am very excited to get started! I know that I shouldn't get all of this yet and all of that, I just wanted to know more about load rating and the types of good rigs! Thank you very much for all of the info that you gave me. That really does help a lot!
We aren't even going to get rigs until 2002, so we should have quite a few jumps by then. Also, the reason I'm asking for this stuff and not worrying about what is going to be on the market in 2002 is because we are not going to buy new gear. I would like to jump on used for awhile so I don't rip up a new container or tear up a new main or something else like that.
Like I said, thanks again for the info!! It was a really big help!

mountainman,if you are going to buy gear soon after student graduation,i think used gear is definitely the way to go.ask many questions,not only instructors,but also experienced jumpers of all levels.
you will have to sort thru the 1000's of different opinions yourself in the end tho.
regards
des