jspratt

Dropzone Maps?

What would be really nice on this site and I find it annoying that you can't do this, is when trying to find a DZ in a country, I have to go and google around to find out where that DZ is on the map.

Perhaps using the google maps API would be good for this, or simply something like at the BPA:

http://www.bpa.org.uk/dropzone/dzone.htm

(but perhaps with some more detail of nearby town names and road names).

Any chance of that happening anytime?

James

http://jamesspratt.com

That is to have unlimited searches of the database, everyone gets I think 3 per day no matter their status. I think he was looking for for example > click on Texas and the picture of the state displays points at the rough areas of the DZ's. This has an issue since if you are looking to travel to say Kansas City which is on the border of two states. If you pull up the map of Kansas it will not display the other DZ's that may be closer, but are right across the border. The solution on here where you input your origin and it finds those closest to you gets around that.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think he was looking for for example > click on Texas and the picture of the state displays points
at the rough areas of the DZ's.

My interpretation of what he wants is the automagic mapping for countries other than the US and the
UK. There are lists of DZs in every country, but the feature where it draws the map with your location
and the DZs on it only works for the US and UK.

I have encountered the same thing. I have family in Germany and I was dreaming about one day visiting
them and maybe getting some jumps in. I can go to Europe -> Germany and get a list of 54 DZs. If I
want to know which one is closest to Frankfurt, I get to click on each one and put the address or city
name into a third-party mapping service.

There is a FAQ entry on this topic that blames it on the available geocoding information.
That entry is dated November 2004, and so probably predates the availablility of Google Maps.

As a temporary workaround, one can emigrate to the US. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.