Gravitymaster

Threads marked read.

Is there a way to keep unread thread highlighted longer? Sometimes I log on and only have a few minutes to catch up,but when I log back on, all the threads in that forum are unhighlighted.

I've had this problem as well. As long as I don't go in to a forum while logged in, all of the unread posts/
threads will stay marked as unread. If I go in there while logged in, I then have to either read all of the
new posts, or resign myself to losing all of the new-post markers when I log out.

What I have been doing to get around this is to log in, check PMs and email, and maybe catch all the
way up on a forum that's only got a few new posts. I then log out and visit the forums again while not
logged in. That way I can look at the forums that have a lot of new posts and read the few that catch
my eye. Later, when I have time, I log in again and get completely caught up on the forums with lots of
new posts. I end up reading some things twice this way, but to me that's preferable to losing all of the
new-post markers.

The root problem, I think, is that the forum software is keeping some state on the server instead of on
the client. (One of the requirements for writing Web forum software is to ignore all the lessons learned
from 20 years of USENET.) I haven't experimented with this much, but the software _might_ be
storing this data on the client in the form of cookies. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the cookie
format isn't documented anywhere, so trial and error is the only way to find out how it works.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.