skreamer

CReW requirements

Hi guys
A friend has been trying to convince me that I should try CRW in the nearish future, says it really improves canopy flying skills (which I can fully believe). I will be doing RW until I get my B-license but then might like to try it. What are the requirements? About the only thing I know is that disconnecting my RSL would be a must. My wing-loading is extremely low (0.77 on a Cruiselite '220). Is this a problem, or will I have to use a different main? After buying my own rig, I can't really afford to hire (again) or buy a second rig just for CRW.
Any advice re. gear required and any general pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks
/s
[drop till you party!]

Hi Skreamer,
One more of us... One less of them;).
OK... 7-cell main is a must, also you need continuous centre cell A & B lines - ideally with the A lines easily identifiable (commonly coloured red).
A bridle retraction system is VERY desirable, as is a container which provides minimal opportunity for line snags.
Knives = LOTS!!!! personally if I'm doing CReW I've got 3 knives in various places including a "divers" knife on my chest strap. This is not 'cos I'm a closet Sushi Chef... the idea is that in a "wrap" I've the best chance of being able to see & access at least one.
Finally... Get a COMPREHENSIVE safety brief - expect to spend a couple of hours on this. Bear in mind you're going to deliberately do the exact thing you've been taught to "avoid at all costs" - canopy collisions.
Have fun... do a Downplane for me:o.
Mike D10270.

Ah, yes.... the REAL Dark Side. Get some coaching first and/or sign up for a crew camp. I had some great instructors at Perris. They'll have some crew canopies for you to demo. They are a little beefier and have straight center cell lines and cross connectors on the risers. I've only jumped the PD Lightning in 193 & 218 so I'm not sure how the others fly. Stacks and planes are pretty cool, but the side-by's and the downplane are awesome. Try it as soon as you can. I did it on my 32nd jump! (No knife, but I have one now.):o
Shark
CCR-2113

USPA has some recommendations for CRW.. equipment wise, a 7 Cell main. any size will work, so long as your CRW partner has a similar loading. you don't want to spend your entire dive chasing him/her across the sky because htey are loading an Extreme VX at 1.5 and you have a docile F111 at .8 or something. makes sense?
I do CRW with my spectre. My instructor that I work with has no problems with this at all. I dont' have any of the line mods on it. I do carry a knife, but it's really important to go through an intense safety briefing on CRW mals, such as entanglements, multiple canopies out... things tend to get more interesting when you're linked up with someone. There are a lot of things you can do before going to the knife, per se, and various signals to give in those scenarios.
CRW is awesome. It will make you reallly appreciate your canopy, and realize what it is capable of.
Blue Ones!
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks