councilman24

Rigging and Gear Divorce?

I've suggested this in the past but have a new reason to suggest it.

PIA has decided to eliminate our Rigger Forum. It was for riggers only, pre appoval for postings. Gary Douris who initiated it and moderated it has retired. The PIA Rigging Committee has decided to shut it down. It's still up until I Jan can get around to killing it.

I'd like to suggest to HH that he separate Gear and Rigging. Gear for "what canopy should I buy" and Rigging for "does anybody know how to close flap 3?".

More riggers used dropzone.com anyway because of the instant feed back. Separating the Rigging issues from the Gear issues would allow people to concentrate on what they care more about. There is some cross over but a lot of the questions are oriented toward experienced jumper and instructors. Those seem separate from the rigging questions.

PIA Rigging Committee Chairman
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Count me in on that also. I would even suggest a preapproval to start a new thread into that fourm to keep it on topic as much as possible. Instead of having to have a mod kick out 15 threads after they have replies on them, prevent them from appearing in the first place in the wrong fourm.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Part of the problem with the PIA Rigger Forum was the preapproval required by the moderator. Gary was very good as getting to messages. But it would take several moderators to keep up. Right now we have instant replies available. That's one of the benefits.

There was good reason for pre approval. It allowed some questions which we might not want on an open forum to be posed. Gary would then often refer the poster to the right resource, or investigate the issue himself. Many of these posts would never make it to the public forum.

And I don't know if HH would want to set up preapproval. I for one don't think we probably need it here. But maybe it would work to keep rigging on point.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I agree that the preapproval process bogged down the PIA Rigger Forum. Not only every thread, but every post in the thread needed an ok.

I'd like to try preapproval for starting a new Rigging thread, just to keep the topics on point, but no approval needed to post in an existing thread.

On a slightly different tack, would you sort the next "How do I pack my main" thread into the Gear forum, or the Rigging forum?

Mark

Well, "how do I pack MY main" is covered in the ISP and it doesn't require a rigger provide packing instruction so........it's a discussion for everybody and isn't uniquely rigging.

I'd sort it into Gear. Nothing would keep riggers from participating in a Gear forum. "How do I pack a main for others?" might go to rigging.

Certainly some judgements to make, just as are made now.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I like the idea in principle, but here are some reservations I have....

Since this is an international forum, people getting the info here will have to keep that in mind: a non TSO rig would still be very legal in many parts of the world for exemple.

Instead of pre approval of posts, I'd suggest having a peer review of approved thread starters. Basically, at the inception of that forum, a bunch of riggers from all over get the authority to start threads. I think as a group, we'd be able to get a list of who that would be pretty quick. I would still leave it open to anyone to reply to a thread.
Remster

I think that unlimited access to reply to the thread with out approval is needed, I'm just thinking that having new threads approved would be a good thing.

A peer approval mode you are going to have to give those listed riggers the permissions to move threads to other fourms so in escence they are moderators.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If we have pre approved thread starters does how do other riggers and non riggers with rigging questions start a thread? By proxy through a preapproved initiator by PM? Or new threads get dumped to a moderator mailbox for transfer in if approved?

Just wondering.

And all of it's moot if HH isn't interested.;) I actually suggested this a couple of years ago.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

how do other riggers and non riggers with rigging questions start a thread?

Proxy is one way. Another is having Super User types accounts for this forum that can assign the authority to start new threads.

Or, just start a thread in "Gear" and it may get moved to "Rigging".

Another option is just to have the forum open to all, like the present one is, but clearly designated for Rigging. Any non rigging question will get moved to the "Gear" forum. It will be quite a bit of work for the mods taking care of that one I think, but less so then having to pre-approve every thread.

And yeah, at this point, we're just discussing the possibility here! :)
Remster

i will add one more vote to seperate gear from rigging. i would think that the seperation alone would take care of most of the problems that have been postulated so far. i say let's try it and see what happens, it's a forum, not a parachute. we stand to lose nothing experimenting with this.

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin