Chaps

Gettin Started

I recently completed AFF and am now looking to start piecing a rig together... I'm considering a mirage G3 container. I have chosen this container because most of my friends at the DZ are all free-flyers and I have the desire to follow the same path and they all recommend the g3 highly... it aint hard to look at either! I guess my question is wether or not this container is generally considered OK for a novice to fly. At the Mirage website it proudly boasts that the G3 is for the serious, experienced flyer. I'm going to buy a used main and reserve and I plan to buy the rig with a cypress. After seeing the mirage and hearing input on it I can't seem to let myself accept anything else. Any thoughts? I'm just really happy to have something that excites me as much as my new hobby has.

IMHO there's nothing about the Mirage (or any particular container system) which is inherently unsuitable for a novice, as long as it's sized for an appropriate main and reserve. You'll still need to think about some of the options e.g. soft reserve handle, whether you want an RSL, etc. Best talk to your instructor about that.
The Mirage is a mighty fine rig (it's what I jump) but so are several others.
Geoff

Mirage is nice. Also nice and expensive. The big question I would ask yourself is how will you feel when you slide in on your back on that brand new Mirage? It will probably happen given your experience level. If you are OK with that and don't mind spending the money then go with what makes you happy. There are plenty of other rigs that are just as safe for freeflying including the Dolphin 2000 which is half the price of the Mirage. Also consider the fact that you might want something different in 100 jumps which may or may not require a new container.

I agree with Dutchboy. I would not buy a brand new Mirage G3 as a first rig. If you freefly, you can buy a used Reflex, or Javelin (or Vector III if you can find one). Used gear can save you money and you can pass it on to someone else when you downsize for a long while and get a nice rig.
Informative note, my friend has a Voodoo and his toggle came out of his Mack Daddy Freefly rig and he had a malfunction. I own a reflex (used $900 with PD reserve) and I have seen myself in video in a sit and have never seen my main flap open, but I have seen many others main flaps open. My Reflex also has no bridle exposed anywhere (you can't beat that). All you have to do is keep your pop top snug (get a rigger to help you and inspec t the reserve pin afterwards). The new Racer Elite NOS are very tight also and I don't think they will open at all but there is a lot of velcro to keep clean. The Mirage G3 is very nice no doubt. Vector III is very nice but they have a very long delivery. Voodoo is nice, but my friend Wane (malfunction boy) is not convinced, ha ha. New Javelins are nice also, I just don't like the main flap. Eclipse and Talons are nice. Just note that new used gear is more likely to have better bridle and riser protection. Some older rigs had bridle and risers sticking out eveywhere.
Look at everyone's rig at the main pin and riser protection so that you know what you are looking at and then seek out a good deal on some used gear. Everyone has an opinion, but, I have seen more main flaps flapping on Javelins and old vectors.
bloo skies
ramon

Like the others said... save yourself some coin and the horrible feeling of screwing up your brand new damn-near-two-thousand-dollar container with one bad landing (think how you felt when the first scratch/dent happened to your brand new car/paint job...) by buying either something new but less expensive or something used but freefly safe. If you're stuck on the Mirage G3, look around - there are used ones out there. If your mind is not yet slammed shut look at the rigs that ramon mentioned and also take a look at the Infinity - excellent flap, bridle and pin protection, excellent quality, excellent customer service, excellent price, designed by one of the team that put together the Vector 3 (of which the Mirage is a copy, btw).
Oh, and congrats on getting off student status! :)pull and flare,
lisa