halfbaked66

My First Rig!!!!

I'm looking for my first rig. I'm 5', 6" and 200 lbs. muscular build. I'm currently training and will be back to 180 lbs. shortly. What size main and reserve should I get? Also can anybody tell me what my harness size is? I'm also looking at a Lazer 7 cell. Is this a good canopy for a begginer? Thanks for any info on this stuff!

This is the 'accepted answer', and probably the best one you'll get.
I'm assuming that since you're asking this question you're still fairly new to the sport. That said, you really need to talk with your jumpmasters about canopy choice, they know you're abilities and shortcomings better than anyone here and maybe even better than you.
With regards to a container, Javelin, Vector, Mirage, and Wings all make a nice product. Thinking about it, I'm sure almost any new container on the market today will be suitable for you. You'll have to be measured to determine which harness size is right for you.
So, to sum it up, talk with the folks at your DZ - they're the best qualified people to help you with this decision.
-
Jim

Totally agree with above - canopy choice is the most important saftey choice.
A good wing loading for first canopy is under 1.0. So to calculate your WL, add your weight (200), plus a typical rig weight of 30lbs (230), and divide it by the size of canopy (230). So if you went for a 230sq.ft. canopy, it would be about right for you.
Trust me, it'll be exciting when you fly it. The simple move from F-111 to ZP is a pretty cool change in it's own right.
Blue skies,
Rob

I have been wondering about container sizing. Do the manufactuers have a chart on there websites that will tell you what size rig is the best for you? allso are the sizes universal to all rigs.? Like a size on a Wings will be the same size or pretty close to it on say a Mirage?

If you are ordering a rig custom, don't even worry about the container sizing - simply put your canopy names and sizes on the order form and let the container manufacturer do the container sizing. Same with harness sizing; you'll have a number of measurements taken, with those the container manufacturer will size the harness to fit you.
It's a bit trickier if you are looking to piece together a used rig. Each container manufacturer comes up with their own container sizes - for example a Javelin J1 holds totally different sized canopies than a Talon T1. Some of the manufacturers have sizing charts on their websites; for the ones that don't you can call or email them to find out what size you will need. Of course you'll need to already know what size canopies you'll be putting in it for them to be of much help to you.
Harness sizing is tricky on a used rig. It's best if you can try on whatever you are looking at buying, but if you can't your height, weight and inseam measurement (crotch to floor, no shoes, have someone else measure it) compared to the height, weight and inseam of the seller should give you a good idea of it will fit or not (example - a rig sized for someone 6' with a 34" inseam will likely fit someone 5'10" with a 32" inseam or someone 5'8" with a 30" inseam... as long as their basic body shapes are the same - won't work if the 5'10" person weighs 230 and the 6' guy weighs 180...)
pull and flare,
lisa