Viking

Whats a good inexpensive beginner helmet??

I was just wondering whats a good brain bucket to start with?? I don't like the Frap hats and the Factory Diver is a tad to expensive at the moment. So what does that leave me with?? Any advice and reviews would be helpful.
Thanx

Helmet info: (Skydiving) (was on earlier forum)
So called modern skydiving helmets can help in preventing scull fractures, but do little in absorbing the energy from impact that is transferred to the brain. I base my conclusion here on the fact of very little foam thickness/quality/type/design in these helmet's. When you combine this fact with the fact that these company's have done little to none as far as research in this area, as compared to such companies as Simpson and Bell, you can understand my feeling here.
A Pro-Tek has much more foam thickness than these helmets, but I would not consider a Pro-Tek a close second to a Simpson Voyager1 as far as absorbing energy from impact.
Dave Brownell
Follow up:
The Simpson model "Voyager1" would probably be my choice in a "non skydiving helmet" for skydiving.
It has more than one inch of energy absorbing material. As required for energy absorption, this material has basically a zero memory, unlike most foams. After a crash the liners must be replaced because of possible measured compression. And yes, there is a hinged Lexan visor with two latches/snaps. As far as weight is concerned, your total head weight would be about 20% more than using a Carbon-Fire helmet.
MSRP $300.00
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/ "Voyager1" MSRP $300.00
Dave Brownell
Follow up #2:
Consider the sometimes massive camera array that Norm Kent wears on his helmet/head.
i.e., 35MM movie camera, with an anaphoric lens, video, and a 35 MM still camera! How's that for an aerodynamic factor! I've also heard weight numbers of well over twenty five pounds!
I believe that the Simpson "Voyager 1" helmet is under four pounds.
I've heard that the average human head is around twelve pounds, so this in not that great of a percentage increase. Also consider the slight increase in aerodynamic "lift" do to it's larger size over "so called" skydiving helmets.
Be safe, have fun,
Dave Brownell
Follow up #3
A Simpson Voyager1 helmet is three times heavier than a Carbon-Fire helmet.
Simpson Voyager= 3.95 lbs.
Carbon-Fire= 1.32 lbs.
Human head with Carbon-Fire= 13.32 lbs
Human head with Simpson Voyager1= 15.95
Increase in total head weight with Voyager1 over Carbon-Fire= 20%
Dave Brownell
Mesa, AZ

After using your inexpensive helmet, (Protec) you may want to consider the ultimate helmet!
The VUDO is the lightest, high technology helmet ever manufactured by Simpson...with no performance compromise.
COLORS: White, Unfinished (for custom painting), Black & Platinum (extra charge)
Base MSRP $750.00
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/helmets/helmetset.html
Dave Brownell
Mesa, AZ

Viking, most dz's use protec helmets for their students, and will usually let you borrow them after you graduate for a short time until you get your own. It is a decent inexpensive option which I think works OK for freeflying as well as belly flying.
And for those of you who really don't think helmets like the factory diver offer significant enough protection, all I can say is I have a friend who would not be alive without his. I saw the landing, I saw the crater his head left in the ground, and I saw the look of astonishment in the paramedics eyes when they saw it.
Not to say there isn't room for improvement, because there certainly is, but they are better than frap hats, and they can save your life.
I'd be worried about the weight and fit of a racing helmet, since it is not designed for skydiving or vertical speed. The people who strap pounds of expensive video equipment to their heads are very experienced skydivers, not newbies looking to buy their first helmet. Sorry, Viking is no Norman Kent just yet!

Dave,
Here's what worries me about this helmet. The neck-line at the back of the head on this full-face is basically straight... How do I look forward and up to check my air space if the helmet pushes on my neck and back preventing me to to do this?
Most skydiving full face helmets are designed to allow that type of movement of the head.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

And the protec looks cheap. i mean it looks like a damn bicycle helmet!! what about a Gath?

The Gath provides less protection than the Protec. It has less padding inside and you have to figure out a way to mount your audible. Remember the Gath was designed for surfers, not skydivers. With a Protec you can secure any audible in the ear area without too much hassle, they're inexpensive and it's not a big deal if you scratch it up getting in and out of the airplane.
If you like the Mindwarp get one! No rule says you have to wear a full face to do RW after all ;) I would recommend trying a couple on to be sure of sizing before you order.
pull and flare,
lisa

Sangiro said:
Dave,
Here's what worries me about this helmet. The neck-line at the back of the head on this full-face is basically straight... How do I look forward and up to check my air space if the helmet pushes on my neck and back preventing me to do this?
Most skydiving full face helmets are designed to allow that type of movement of the head.
DB> The rear of my Carbon-Fire helmet is two inches above the "knob" at the back of my head, which in my mind is much more than is needed for upwards viewing.
I visited a local speed shop today to check out your concern. They had a Voyager1 in stock that was my exact size. I put the helmet on, and found that there was absolutely no interference/restriction to looking up. As a matter of fact, at my maximum head up position there was plenty of helmet/neck/back clearance! Even without the thick foam there would be no problem.
I will be calling Simpson tomorrow to find out if the Voyager1 is available in Carbon Fibre as is the VUDO.
The Simpson catalogue at the speed shop indicated it was. (one+ lb lighter!) (less $ than VUDO)
Dave Brownell

I started skydiving in 1975, how ever I quit for a long time and just recently started back. But I feel I can contribute a little to this cause. I know that modern tech has changed things a bunch and for the better that said.
In 1975 we did not have a (skydiving) helment. We used motor cycle helments. I have witnessed thousands of jumps with these helments and never once saw a problem which was caused by the helment. Anything with the label skydiving on it seems to bring top dollar. Based on witnessing thousands of jumps and making a hundred or so myself I would say any quality helment desined to protect the head from impact should be just fine.

Maybe Hi-Tech and more Cool in this area has gone beyond good sense.
(Really not Hi-Tech because of the poor brain protection at impact as compared to racing helmets that are indeed Hi-Tech. Cool is not an issue here, staying alive is.
Dave Brownell