Albatross

Spectre 170 vs. Spectre 190

I just bought a brand new Spectre 170. I have 40 jumps and will have 50+ by the time that I get to jump it for the first time. I will be loading it at 1.1. What will the flight be like vs the 190 I have been jumping.
Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross

That's a pretty succinct answer - it'll be faster -but only slightly. Nothing to worry about, but it's worth being a bit more careful on your first few jumps.
After 10 jumps or so, it'll feel just like the 190.
Have fun!

I did the same thing, I started renting the DZ's Sabre 190 as soon as I got off student status, and I bought the 170 when I had 25 jumps. You'll be very happy with the difference, the turns are snappier, and the landings are better...
Blue Skies
-Dave

I just bought a brand new Spectre 170. I have 40 jumps and will have 50+ by the time that I get to jump it for the first time. I will be loading it at 1.1. What will the flight be like vs the 190 I have been jumping.

Albatross,
I've just put 17 jumps on my new Spectre 190. It's a bitch to pack since it is really slick. I load it just under 1:1. The week before I demo'd a 170 which put my loading at 1.12:1 and it was faster, more manueverable than the demo 190 I had for 3 weeks. The winds were light and it really came screaming in. The 170 flies much like the Sabre 190 I tried at Perris. You might want to demo the 170 Spectre at SQ1. I'm satisfied with the 190 Spectre as I like the flying characteristics of the lower wing load. I've even gotten some long swoops (for me) on it yesterday with no wind. I will also do some crw with this canopy as well. While the canopy performance is better at a higher wing loading, I don't plan on downsizing anytime soon; at least not on my personal gear.

I finally got to jump my new rig this weekend and the spectre 170 was awsome. I jumped a 190 on friday and got the feeling back but the 170 was a new ball game. I am loging it at 1.1 and I finally could get enough speed to do good front riser turns at altitude and to get a good 15-25' surf. I made 6 jumps on the 170 and had my feet dowwn and sliding acreoss the grass on every one. I finally understand why my friends swoop.
Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross