BFK

Mirage handle

I'm looking in to buying a Mirage G3 and I want to know whether or not I should get the traditional hacky handle or the knew PUD type of handle installed(still a throw out pc, but the handle is like a pud and has an attachment that keeps it in place -but no velcro).
If you don't know what it is, go to:
http://www.miragesys.com/NextMiragesite/mirageframe2.html
and then click on "Mirage News".
I have 113 jumps, but I am uncurrent at the moment. I'll be making 10-15 jumps a month once my job starts.
If anyone has this type of handle I'd appreciate hearing about how hard it is to get a full throw out of it and how hard it is to dislodge from its attachment .
Should I start with the hacky handle or do you think I can handle the knew handle (accidental phrasing)?
Brad

I've seen similar handles before, none EXACTLY like this no doubt, but the general idea is the same. If you feel like you can deal with it, go for it. But it seems you are hesitant, so I say stick with the hackey till you feel confident about using something new.
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

I’m a newbie, and haven’t jumped alot of different gear, but I prefer the hackey. It gives me something that I can get a good grasp on. I put 2 jumps on a new container this past weekend, and it took a much stronger pull than I’m accustomed to to get the pilot chute out of the boc. I was glad to have the hackey to wrap my fingers around!
Also, I’m not big on making changes in my gear…the familiarity makes me more comfortable. Since you’ve been out of jumping for awhile, maybe it would be better to stick with what’s familiar until you’re back in the swing of things. Then make gradual changes, one at a time, instead of multiple things all at once. Just a thought…
Blue Skies,
Karen

A PUD is liked by a lot of freeflyers because the are definitely pulling the pin out and opening their container I think it gives them some security from a horseshoe. If you have a big freefly suit or a birdman suit the pilot chute can easily get caught in the burble. I personally like a hackey and a throw out becuase I will get my pilot chute in clean air..

I think the Mirage system is a pud-type handle but attached to the apex of the PC in a normal BOC throw-out type arrangement.
AFAIK, mirage don't make pin-pull rigs.
On the posters original question - I would stick with a hacky until the new system has been round a bit longer, and any teething problems solved.
Geoff

FYI, I saw this setup at the Freaks Flock Together Boogie last weekend in Dallas. It looked like a great idea. Mr. Hallett was there with demos. I saw a guy pick up the rig by the handle, and it didn't come out. Then he pulled it with a slight twist, and it came right out, just like a throw out with a regular hackey. It looked very secure AND easy to use.
Blue Skies!
Hey, I'm not packed,
what's in that one?
Never mind, I'll jump it!

Get the pud type handle. I have one on a Wings container. (BOC not pull-out) Low profile = less chance of accidental deployment.
Make sure you have a good grasp of the pud - it took me an extra try last weekend to deploy.
-mob

Geoff,
Mirage certainly makes a pull-out/pin-pull system. I bought my rig in Feb and chose the pull out system with the PUD handle.
I bought it for two reasons, 1. the PUD is infinitely harder to accidently dislodge and 2. Horseshoes are avoided completely.
The downside as I see it are twofold:
1. You can't see at a glance whether or not the pilot chute is cocked. So, you better trust your packer or yourself to make sure it is.
2. If you drop the handle during deployment it may be a little difficult to grasp again if its flapping around on your back even if it's within reach.
At first it seemed a little strange pulling it, I initially yanked it with more force than is needed. A simple twist then pull is all that is required. After 60 plus jumps I'm very comfortable with it and it feels to me like I have a throw-out system. IT'S EASY ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT.
For me I feel safer with the pull-out, others may want the security of a cock check <--- New Skydiving Term...LOL
My $.02
Whit