gus

Self moderation

Seems like some of our moderators (TA specifically) have to spend way too much time trawling through posts and removing things which obviously shouldn't be there. And the problem seems to be getting worse. What about a system where us normal users have some sort of editorial control? You could have a little 'moderate' link in the bottom right of each post that takes you to a page where you submit a word or phrase that you think shouldn't be in the post. If enough people do the same, that word is automatically edited out. Not sure how you'd decide when the threshold was reached. If you think that power might be abused then let the moderators nominate specific people that can do it. If TA had 10 (or whatever) 'mini moderators' I imagine he could spend much more time doing other things!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I've seen some other forums have a "report to mod" button. The report button opens a thread in the moderator forum with the reporter's explanation of why the post is a problem, and a link to the original post, and the moderators can look at the post, take appropriate action, if any, and then close the report thread in the mod forum. It works well on smaller forums, but DZ.com is bigger than the other forums I've seen this system on, so I'm not sure how well it would work here, or if the forum software is capable of it.

I've had many, many conversations about this with a lot of people. I agree in principle that this is a very good idea but have nott found any self-moderation model online that I think is sufficient for what I'd like it to do. I'll continue to research this.

If you do it you need to do it right. Change, especially those that involve people closely like this one, is painful in a community. I do not want to create a system that just needs to be lifted again a short while later.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I've seen some other forums have a "report to mod" button. The report button opens a thread in the moderator forum with the reporter's explanation of why the post is a problem, and a link to the original post, and the moderators can look at the post, take appropriate action, if any, and then close the report thread in the mod forum. It works well on smaller forums, but DZ.com is bigger than the other forums I've seen this system on, so I'm not sure how well it would work here, or if the forum software is capable of it.

The solution proposed by the original poster is ripe for abuse, IMO.

Along the lines of the submission systems you've seen on other boards, I think that might create too much noise for the current moderation staff.

What I think does work though, and is fairly similar to what you've mentioned, is a PM to BillV, Q, TA, etc . . . with a mention of a problem post or thread. In fact, I think that might work better than the "report to mod" button because it requires a level of motivation for the reported. Finally, it's already here.

Is there a problem with moderation now?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Is there a problem with moderation now?

No there isn't, but looking at now is not good enough for what tomorrow may look like. I have to constantly think about how the current solutions scale and also look for ways to continue to create the kind of dynamics that I think will improve the longevity of the forums. Just staying here and not looking ahead is just not good enough. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

...What I think does work though, and is fairly similar to what you've mentioned, is a PM...

I get these all the time, and they are very helpful. A more formal "report to moderator" button might improve the current informal system, but I'm not certain that it would do so.

We also have a fairly good amount of "peer pressure" moderation (people posting and saying "hey, dude, you're out of line"), which a think is a positive consequence of a functional community.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com