Vlad

The worst gear

I think it would be useful for everybody if we write about bad experience with brand xxx gear as well. So, which containers/canopies/helmets/accessories you would NOT recommend to buy ?
I have a bad experience with an OLD('96) Dolphin. In the Parachute Center, Lodi, CA , they have Dolphins and Reflexes for rent. Reflexes are perfectly fine, but the Dolphins... The velcro on main riser covers does not work at all !!! 2 weeks ago I rented a Dolphin . and guess what: on 8 grand I had the whole riser outside the container !!! Was not the most pleasant feeling.
I think that those containers that use a lot of velcro do need frequent maintanance.
P.S. Have not seen the new Dolphins, they could be much better and need less maintanance...
Edited by vlad on 3/24/01 07:57 PM.

Well, I have an older('92) EOS container that doesn't have external main riser covers that tends to raise eyebrows, but the rig is perfectly safe.
Now I've personally jumped Old Baldie at one dropzone which was an old Manta main with a round reserve in a racer container using an FXC for an AAD.
While there was nothing technically wrong with the rig it just had some sort of bad mojo surrounding it. If anything ever went wrong on the DZ with the rental gear, odds were that Old Baldie was being worn when the student/renter screwed up.
And then there was the time my instructor at another DZ jumped a borrowed rig. What he didn't know was that the BOC pouch was loose and the pilot chute ended up in the airstream over a deploying student when he went to track away.
That wrap just about cost him his life.

Vlad
I had the same problem renting geat at Lodi. I had a premature deployment at around 3500'. Luckilly I had just rolled onto my stomach to wave off when it deployed. Velcro and risers are not a good combination.
Matt
"I have a bad experience with an OLD('96) Dolphin. In the Parachute Center, Lodi, CA , they have Dolphins and Reflexes for rent. Reflexes are perfectly fine, but the Dolphins... The velcro on main riser covers does not work at all !!! 2 weeks ago I rented a Dolphin . and guess what: on 8 grand I had the whole riser outside the container !!! Was not the most pleasant feeling. "

I agree with your statement but there are exceptions. I have an older racer 91 with velcro on the riser covers and i've found them to be super tight and clean. Have never had a problem with them and realize that on this racer the risers are super deep with lots of protection. My complaint is the main pin protection and bridle protection which just isn't there for the type of flying i'm doing now.
jason
ps: my new wings container solves all my problems. :)

I did get mine in 4 weeks ! It was supposed to be 8, but I called Sunrise Rigging and asked them to make it ASAP (I was going to California for my spring break). And they did it ! The service was excellent, people were EXTREMELY friendly, and container is awesome !!!

I won't mention the manufacturer (well, maybe if you buy me a beer), but a friend of mine jumped a rental rig where the leg strap webbing had gone shiny with age and wear, and on deployment both straps slipped through to the end stops.
He was left hanging with the chest strap under his chin, couldn't reach the brakes, managed to steer with his weight in the harness, and landed very hard with no flare.
Fortunately he was OK (big canopy), but scared shitless!
To be honest I'm not certain this was a problem with this type of rig having bad webbing or bad friction adapters, or if it could happen on any rig when it's old and worn enough.
Geoff