Pammi

Full-face helmets

This is probably a stupid question...but anyway, here goes...
How many of you wear a full-face helmet in the summer too? I had to choose what kind of helmet to get and got a Z1 because it seemed to make sense especially when it's colder, but I'm wondering how friggin hot that'll be when it warms up. Just keep it open until you're getting ready to get out I assume?
Pammi

I have a Z1 and wear it year round. It is especially nice in the winter. I like it for the protection it gives me, not just the warmth. I normally only wear it to altitude if I'm close to the engines in the otter or when it is cooold outside. Keeping cool while skydiving is normally not a problem. I did take it off one day when I was walking 2.5 miles back to the DZ from a really bad spot on a 75F day.

I have a factory diver, which I wear without the visor regardless of the season, and I really like it that way. (but I'm not a cold weather jumper anymore) I wear goggles or close fitting sunglasses under it and have for a couple of years.
But with the newer helmets, all the lenses are flip ups anyway, aren't they? So, to avoid fogging and heating up, keep it open til jump run and fasten it securely. And if you're feeling claustrophobic, you should be able to pop it open under canopy, too.

Thanks guys. Sounds like a good idea...there's got to be a reason that some of those full-face helmets have cracked lenses and I don't think I want to find out without one! I'll just flip it up til jump run and open it under canopy. Thanks again!
Pammi

You could ask 10 people which helmets they like and get 15 answers. I will say that the Z-1 seems to be (for the money) the best deal. Here are some pros and cons:
Pros: Full Face, hinged face-plate that opens up all the way out your line of vision unlike the Oxygen and Factory Divers that cut your vision in half under canopy when you open the face-plate, good snug fit, adjustable elastic around the neck, the face plate doesn't get old and wear many tiny cracks in it as Factory Diver, and Oxygen masks do, the chin clip is on once it's clipped, it's not comin' off
Cons: The button to open the face-plate is a bit tricky at first, if you have a snug-fitting helmet a dytter inside the pocket will feel a bit akward at first, the replacement lenses are more expensive than that of the Oxygen and Factory Diver brand. The face-plate seems to be put on kind of cheaply, but I've heard of no problems.
Hope this helps in everyone's next purchase!

Jeremy