SkiD_PL8

Student Jumper Forum

I find that most of the people that talk regularly on the forum have in excess of at least 100 jumps. I however think that there are several low time jumpers that just lurk for the most part because they feel intimidated by that fact. For awhile I thought I was the only 2 jump wonder posting on here until I posted about my practice ripcord pulls in safety and training. I would love to see a forum titled Student Jumpers or something similar. That would allow us all to talk about student related things. I mean after my last few jumps I really wanted to post about them but didn't really see anyplace to be apropriate. Link to PRCP post

Greenie in training.

Instructors are floating around to answer questions. But questions are better asked in forums like safety and training or general skydiving discussion. I meant for it more to be a place to just discuss how your jumps are going and talk with other people who are going through the same thing.

Greenie in training.

Maybe if it was setup with a handful of, not moderators persay, but a group of currently rated instructors (since instruction is evolving as well as student programs) that would be able to answer questions.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Maybe if it was setup with a handful of, not moderators persay, but a group of currently rated instructors (since instruction is evolving as well as student programs) that would be able to answer questions.

I can see where that could be helpful. I didn't really envision it as a place to ask questions, more of a place to just talk about the experience. Let me try to explain better. Right now I have 7 jumps and every jump I do feels like a huge accomplishment at this point as I am sure it does for all the other people in student status out there. It would be cool to have a forum where I could just post stuff like "Made jumps 7-12 today" and then talk about them in detail like I want to. I would post them in general skydiving but I am sure you guys don't all want to read about every jump I make right now, however I am sure that other student jumpers would love to see that maybe I made some of the same mistakes they did, or be able to tell me how they got over some problem I am having like unstable exits. I have instructors at my DZ to coach me but sometimes nothing is more helpful than someone who is going through the exact same thing as you are.

Greenie in training.

Ah, ok, sorry I misunderstood what you were suggesting.

That's not a bad idea actually, group support, it helps, I've seen it with students on DZs. They form their own group and keep each other motivated when things don't always work out. After a messed up landing or unstability in the air, the band together and keep each other going.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ah, ok, sorry I misunderstood what you were suggesting.

That's not a bad idea actually, group support, it helps, I've seen it with students on DZs. They form their own group and keep each other motivated when things don't always work out. After a messed up landing or unstability in the air, the band together and keep each other going.B|

Exactly, hopefully sangiro thinks it is a good idea. I will have plenty to post about after this weekend. It will be the first weekend that I have got to jump saturday and sunday since I usually work saturdays and also the first time I have atended the saturday night DZ bonfire. :P

Greenie in training.

I would post them in general skydiving but I am sure you guys don't all want to read about every jump I make right now

Why not? Lots of us post about most every jump we make. If someone doesn't want to read about other peoples jumps they don't have to.

You may not realize this but many old and jaded skydivers enjoy hearing what newer jumpers are doing. Some of us feed on your excitement; hearing and seeing it gets and/or keeps us energized about the sport.

I would post them in general skydiving but I am sure you guys don't all want to read about every jump I make right now

Why not? Lots of us post about most every jump we make. If someone doesn't want to read about other peoples jumps they don't have to.

You may not realize this but many old and jaded skydivers enjoy hearing what newer jumpers are doing. Some of us feed on your excitement; hearing and seeing it gets and/or keeps us energized about the sport.

I will keep that in mind and if this idea doesn't fly I will do exactly that and post it in general skydiving. I am not shy and it doesn't bother me, just seems that other students only seem to be posting on other student threads and things. I would love to hear how everyone else is progressing so guys you heard her let's hear it!

Greenie in training.

I think a student forum would be valuable. I also would like to share the experiences I'm having, but I'm just not always comfortable jumping out onto some of the other groups.

Thanks for suggesting it SkiD :)

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I just thought I'd chime in here. I am a student as well and I would love a group just for us. I have been PM'ing a few other students cause I wasn't sure our discussions would be of interest to anyone else. ( It's nice to hear that some experienced jumpers like hearing about our trials and tribulations.) Also, after my inital thread, I wasn't sure if I should keep posting in the "intro" group or not.

But even if there isn't one just for us, I'd love to hear about how each of your levels go, SkiD_PL8, so you just post away! :)
By the way, that's so cool that you did 7 jumps last weekend! I'm hoping to do 2 or 3 this weekend.

Jeth B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Yeah I had plans of doing more but the weather didn't seem to want to allow that. Jeth feel free to send me PM's I have been talking to a few other student jumpers that way as well. Let me know how you are progressing.

Greenie in training.

To be quite honest, giving students an opportunity to give other students advice is a BAD idea. To have a place to come together is good, but it would just turn into another "advice" forum, and with only students.......that's gonna be nasty.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

To be quite honest, giving students an opportunity to give other students advice is a BAD idea. To have a place to come together is good, but it would just turn into another "advice" forum, and with only students.......that's gonna be nasty.

That is a possibility but from what I have seen most of us are just sending PM's to each other anyway so at least it would be out in the open so instructors could drop by.

Greenie in training.

I'm all for this too. As a whopping 4 jump wonder, it's intimidating to be verbal in any of the other forums, though I do read and learn a lot. If I have questions I have the sense to ask my instructors, that is what they are there for and they can give pointers that no internet person can. But to be able to hear from other students would be informative and rewarding.

Just have a disclaimer at the start of the forum that basically states that it is for support, not question/answer sessions or for advice, that is the role of in-person instructors.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

If it were set up, how about having the script automatically add a short text in red to the bottom of each post - something like "Talk to your instructors and don't take my advice, this is just how I coped".

Greenies and anyone who was specified as one of the "watchers" wouldn't have this on their posts.

Sure it would be ignored a lot but it would be a constant reminder that you're taking advice from someone with only a few more jumps than you.

I agree with AggieDave, group suport is a great thing. Not a bad idea you have here on suggesting a place for students.
And I too, usually read what students post about their experience. It reminds me when I was there struggling through my firsts jumps.B|

Keep posting:)

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,