mountainman

tie in Usernames to Dropzone Listings

Hmm... can this be done? I'm sure that this would be a very long and tedious project to get done, but would there be a way to have users select their dropzone from a drop-down list (perhaps cascading based on the previous drop down menu... e.g. N. America-->USA-->Ohio-->Select DZ) instead of just typing in their Dropzone?

If you could do that, you could automatically make their Dropzone a hyperlink to the dropzone. But, here is my great idea:

When you actually go to the Dropzone Listing, you would see ALL of the Dropzone.com members that list that dropzone as their Home DZ. I travel a lot and it would be great to know who to contact for info or whatever on the local DZ.

Just a thought. I know it would be a lot of work on your part and all members would have to go back into their profile and "fix" their home DZ.

Just a thought.

-Brandon
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

At the moment I do not know which of three local DZ's I would put as my home DZ... and technically I've done more jumps at Perris than any of the three despite it being 5500 miles away.

Better make it a multiple listing thing if it happens.

If you have 3 home DZs, just pick the one you most frequent or closest to your house. If you travel for most, pick the one you travel to the most.

I see this for people who want to travel to another state and know who jumps there. I think it would rule.

If you have 3 home DZs, just pick the one you most frequent or closest to your house. If you travel for most, pick the one you travel to the most.

I see this for people who want to travel to another state and know who jumps there. I think it would rule.

Sorry, but I don't see this working for me. Notice I said me. I travel to all different DZs in the United States, why limit myself. The closest DZ to my house, I haven't jumped there in forever.

If you are wanting that added, just so you can see who will be at a DZ that you are visiting, then just make a post about where and when you will be some where. At this point, there is just too much in the small profile.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

There's nothing wrong with the idea - it's a good one.

Just make sure you don't limit people to picking 1 DZ, cos there are many out there who have more than 1 home DZ.

Of the three, they are all equidistant from my home (I pass 2 others on the way to them which I never jump at). So distance can't be the deciding factor.

Two of them I jumped at last year all the time and have been to about an equal number of times. When I turn up to either I know people and people know me. They are both my home.

The third I am going to be jumping at this year... mostly... I think... I'm not sure yet. How 'bout I tell you next year which is my home... cos right now - it's one of the three.

Or Perris. ;)

I think it's a good idea but I see the problems people are pointing out. So why not add a "I jump here" button for each dropzone in the listings which would add you to a visible list of dz.commers that jump there. That way you could add yourself to any number of places.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Gus, that is a good idea, however it seems there would have to be some type of limit. Some folks would choose 20 DZs that they have jumped at or something like that. Perhaps have 3 slots dedicated to your "home DZs" and then another place they could type in other places.

I am seeing this as more of a search tool and such. Just my .02.

HH.. any thoughts?

cool idea, i just had a similar one and came here to search and see if it had been mentioned, and here it is at the top of the list!

anywho, i wasn't thinking of a dropdown list as such, although that would make it searchable. what i was thinking was that maybe we could have the home dz that people enter in their profile appear along with their other info alongside their posts.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Having thought of something similar to this, I ended up here...

The way I'd like it to work is that a user can either select from a list of all DZs in the database or enter freeform text. If they select from the list, their profile contains a hyperlink; if they enter text the profile behaves as it currently does.

Best of both worlds, in my opinion.