denaga

Rig Choice

I have jumped an Oddysee and I have consequently bought one (arriving in April). I thought it was great...very comfortable and an all around solid rig with some new features. If you are going to be doing strictly freeflying, the voodoo is made for freeflying. My roommate has one and loves it!!! I do RW with a smattering of freeflying. I would recommend the voodoo because thats its design and the pin protection is better and more suited for it. I am not saying that the Javelin's is bad. They are both solid state of the art rigs. You may also want to look into the Mirage too. The pin protection on that is really good. I would also recommend talking to a rigger to see what they have to say from a technical perspective.
"I'll jump anything!"

Very personal opinion, but I consider any rig with a down-pointing main flap that tucks back up under the other flaps to be insecure and non-ideal for freeflying. It's too easy to dislodge it either before exit or in freefall. That means the Javelin, Reflex, Racer, Atom, Dolphin and others.
Rigs with an upward-pointing main flap that tucks back inside itself are a lot more secure. e.g. Mirage, Voodoo, Vector 3, Wings, etc..
Like I say, just a personal preference, but I'd be genuinely interested to hear if anyone thinks that the downward-pointing main flap has any advantages. I can't think of any.
Geoff

Hey-
For some reason, nobody ever mentions the Eclipse... It's a great container -- I love mine! It's very comfortable, secure, and it looks great. :-) Give a man a hammer and suddenly everything's a nail I guess. :-)
--Dan
PS - http://www.stuntsae.com for more info.

I haven't jumped the Odessey yet, but I have jumped the Voodoo, Mirage G3, Vector 3, Racer etc.
IMHO, the best overall quality of rig has to be the Vector 3. It's tight, the flaps are locked down in freefall, bridle secure and with the Micron enhancements it has to be one of the most comfortable rigs on the market - although I await a demo with the Odessey!
The Vector 3 is also a v.well known rig and you won't have any trouble selling it on. After meeting Bill Booth (RW owner) TK and Mark Procost over the last 12 months, my confidence in their desire to be the best manufacturer, coupled with their professional and rather large set-up (compared to Mirage and Jumpshack), has ensured that I won't be buying any other type of rig. There's just no point.
Hope this helps.