FallingRGR

What to focus on after AFF?

The DZ doesn't have a formalized progression after AFF that I'm aware of but I'm sure the instructors will help me out.

You don't have coach jumps? Might want to look at a few different DZ's.

Rash statement given that there is no tie-in between coach jumps and organized progression. One does not follow the other.

Do you know what DZ you are trashing?

Looking at different DZ's is not trashing a DZ.

I have no idea which one it is, do you?

The DZ doesn't have a formalized progression after AFF that I'm aware of but I'm sure the instructors will help me out.

You don't have coach jumps? Might want to look at a few different DZ's.

Rash statement given that there is no tie-in between coach jumps and organized progression. One does not follow the other.

Do you know what DZ you are trashing?

Looking at different DZ's is not trashing a DZ.

I have no idea which one it is, do you?

No, it's not. Implying the DZ doesn't offer Coach jumps, is.
And, yes...I do.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Congratulations on getting cleared solo! You have proven that you can safely make a solo jump on your own.

If you want to jump with others, you are limited to jumping with Instructors, Coaches, and D-lic holders. The point being, you're ready to learn group freefall skills. Those are in the SIM under categories F, G, and H.

You can also work on canopy skills from sec 6.10 and 6.11. These will save your life and brighten up your day.

If you have a cloudy day and a coach available, work on canopy jumps. If you have a clear day and a coach available, work on freefall jumps.

And, figure out your goal. If you want a license, you need to visit USPA.org and read up on what's expected for the A lic. If you are content to make solo jumps, hey, you're already there. I know a guy with 100 jumps who is technically still a student. Doesn't want to pay for coach jumps or a license. Most people are scared to jump with him. Don't be him.

I have one more jump to complete before I am cleared solo; and wanted to get a communities perspective on what types of maneuvers I should be working on once I'm cleared. I would think I should stick to the basics and my obvious weaknesses until I have full control, and confidence of my body movements?

Does this sound accurate? Thanks

Back in the day. (97) I did AFF in 7 jumps. Studied Pat Works online sitfly. At 30 solos I started learning. Took til 70 jumps and got bettter. Around 200 jumps I could dock safely Had some good instructors tho. Thanks Julianna,Mike McGuire,Josh Dolan and a lot more. If they let you do a tandem chase then you know they trust you.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Your number 1 priority after your A-license is canopy control. That is something that requires skill and safety regardless if you doing a solo or doing a 100-way.

Beyond that, explore different aspects of skydiving, but I would argue that a foundation in RW skills will help you progress faster in the other disciplines and it will be a base to always fall back on. You don't get to go do those fun SCR loads if you can't fly on your belly, for example.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Okay, I'm not an instructor, and you really should consult with one. Having said that, here is a list of things that I felt were useful to know and/or do when I was a much fresher student. (and it's not intended to be authoritatively complete). Some of these are lessons I learned by doing something stupid, and realizing afterwards that I did something wrong.

Up to now, you've had instructors looking out for you (protecting you, and protecting other jumpers from you). From a safety standpoint, there are a lot of things the instructors had responsibility for that are now your responsibility.

Before doing solos (or immediately, if you are already doing solos but don't know this stuff):
1. know group exit order (and the theory behind it!)
(if every other group told you what they were planning to do, you should be able to figure out the proper order, including your position in the list of groups)
2. know how to determine group exit-separation
3. discuss with an instructor what you should do if you find yourself in clouds at your planned opening altitude.
4. In consultation with your instructors, define decision altitudes for key situations (cutaway under a main mal, emergency exit altitude where you will go straight to your reserve, etc.)
5. Have checklists (initial gear checks, handle checks, etc) and *check points* (i.e., defined times you do your checks).

Before each jump:
6. Have a free-fall plan to work on (exit type, skill worked on, opening altitude, etc)
7. Have a canopy plan to work on (e.g., flat turns, stalls, etc)
8. Determine what the winds are, and how they will affect your FF and your canopy flight
9. Determine what your landing pattern will be.
10. Calculate what the optimum spot should be.

As you are loading and on the plane, coordinate with everyone else on the load:
11. Expected jump run direction.
12. LZ landing direction
13. Exit order (where should you be)
14. Exit separation

As the plane climbs:
15. Note the altitude of cloud levels (base and top), particularly the lowest ones, so if you find yourself approaching them in free fall, you know what to expect. (see #3 above)
16. Don't fart.

On Jump run:
17. note the direction of jump run (hopefully the same as was planned, but confirm)
18. Note the spot!

After you exit
19. If you intend to track at all, look down and orient yourself perpendicular to the jump run direction before you do it. (Never track unless you know you aren't going up or down jump run)