Keith

Would you pay to post to Talk Back?

If it were to come to a $20.00 a year fee, I will pay that for you since you served out great country

I've been a part of another online community - Cybertown - for a few years. When I found it, it was free. A year ago ownership changed and the new owners began charging for access.

Many of the people who were/are active there are retired, unemployed, disabled, or kids who could not afford to pay. To keep those people active they set up a "sponsorship" program where those who could afford to pay can put up some extra cash so those who can't afford to pay could still play. Sponsors can either specify who benefits from their donation or they can allow the site administrators to use their donation for any person who needs it.

Not that I think dropzone.com as a whole or Talkback specifically should be pay to play... just mentioning this to show that there is always a way for those who can't pay to remain involved when money becomes an issue.

my point is that the people who pay a fee to be on the site will have every intention to contribute to the comments or just lurk to be on the site, they have a real interest in skydiving, even if they do not jump.
I hope that helps you.

Ok I see your point. I wouldn't necessarily agree with it 100%, but I see what you're saying.

I like that sponsorship thing Bytch brought up IF there was a fee for access; but in your view as it relates to the post I responded to, that would negate the benefit you were looking for...but it would keep the people around that some of us really enjoy talking to that $20 would be extremely hard for them to come up with at this moment in their lives. I've been there too, and I won't turn my back on people that need my help.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

If people can't afford 20 bucks for "entertainment" (talk back), then maybe they should sell their computer and go earn some cash. They're not going to make any money sitting on their ass posting pics of their kittens. If ya can't afford 20 bucks, then you shouldn't be wasting your precious time
on b.s. topics. Go do something.... go learn something on the other topics. I'm sick of whiners who do nothing to solve their little whinney "problems". People who expect something for free are what's wrong with this country. Never mind. And don't reply with some lame ass excuse why you need talk back but can't afford it.

It is so unfair to judge a person when you don't truly understand the circumstances in their life. Lack of money doesn't always mean someone won't work, is lazy, or spends frivolously. The question was...would you pay $20 for talkback.

I, being someone without extra cash as of late, would not pay for that privilege. I have to prioritze my spending and cannot justify that kind of expense. Yes, I skydive and I'm still on rental gear. I am only jumping enough to stay current and, right now, haven't even managed that. If I had the extra funds, I would put the money towards a skydive where I can get some real experience rather than on this website or the talkback forum.

I won't explain the details of my personal situation or financial woes. But, I will say that I resent the implication that someone without the extra money to apply to a luxury item, like this website or the talkback forum, is lazy or expects something for nothing.

If a time came that a fee was charged for access to thiis website, I would have to evaluate my budget and see if I could afford to pay to play. And if I couldn't, well, you won't see me "whining" about it. I chose my direction in life and I accept the difficulties that have arisen from it...like paying my bills.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Whoa slam on the breaks there Melissa. You seem to be taking general statements personally. No one is pointing a finger at you or your situation. Take a deep breath, relax, and if you need a skydive that bad PM me and I'll be happy to buy you one :)
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

It is so unfair to judge a person when you don't truly understand the circumstances in their life. Lack of money doesn't always mean someone won't work, is lazy, or spends frivolously.

It does when they say: Try doing anything without having a job/income!

So does money have anything to do with why TalkBack is shut down at the moment??? I was not under the impression that money had anything to do with it... (but I honestly don't know!)

(This question is not necessarily aimed at you, Keith... just replying to you since you started this post - which I assume has something to do with TalkBack being down??)

It seems to me that things were just getting out of control and that maybe sangiro and the moderators (hey, that sounds like some sort of band name!) just need some time to figure out how to control things a bit better??? But I'm only guessing...

This is a great website, and I've watched it improve so much over the last few years. I think it's a very valuable resource for the skydiving community (in so many different ways), and I would really hate to see sangiro get so fed up with it that he decides to shut it down...

Now if money is an issue, most of the other forums that I use offer a free "basic" membership and then a fee to use the advanced features, so maybe something like that could be implemented on this site too...

no it doesn't.

That person could be a full time student.

First year med students or law students just plain can't work, unless they're in some kind of part-time or night program.

When my friend Christina got accepted to Georgetown Law, she was told "Do not work. You do not have time, and you will suffer in law school if you try."

When I start law school, even though I'm going to an evening program, I'm cutting my work hours down to part time so I can keep my grades up. That means, I'll have barely enough money to pay my rent and buy my school books. Skydiving ain't going to happen at that point, and neither is most other kinds of fun.

Just because someone currently doesn't have a job doesn't make them lazy. You don't know their circumstances.

No, money isn't the issue. The issue was lack of respect and feeling of entitlement by some contributors to Talk Back. I posed the question because HH spends a hell of a lot of his own money to keep this site going and Talk Back is the costliest and most out of control forum on this site. I thought people might be willing to help pay for the forum they like to frequent. Judging by the responses to the poll, I was wrong.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I might pay a yearly fee to access a forum, but only if lots of other people did too. A forum wouldn't be fun with only a few members.

I would however, probably pay for an ad slot for my web design business, if it were cheaper. I do part-time work for non-profits, private people, or small businesses that just want a basic web presence and don't want to pay out the wazoo for it.

When I first found this site, I was thinking "man, a lot of people come here... I wonder if I could advertise." and then I saw the prices and thought "yeep! no thanks!"

Whoa slam on the breaks there Melissa. You seem to be taking general statements personally. No one is pointing a finger at you or your situation. Take a deep breath, relax, and if you need a skydive that bad PM me and I'll be happy to buy you one :)

That's true class.

So does money have anything to do with why TalkBack is shut down at the moment??? I was not under the impression that money had anything to do with it... (but I honestly don't know!)

Keith is correct, money is most definitely not the issue with TB being shut down. But, giving a dontation is kind of a nice way of saying, "thanks for all the work you do for us". Have you ever found $20 in a coat pocket you didn't remember was there? You were able to do without it, but it sure is a nice surprise when you find it. It's kind of the same for HH, I think.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

$20 a year is a small price to pay not only for Talk Back, but for all others: great info, great laughs from all the posts, advice/suggestions, ideas, etc.

Most definitely!
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

No, money isn't the issue. The issue was lack of respect and feeling of entitlement by some contributors to Talk Back.

Ok, that's what I thought the issue was. It was just starting to sound like a lot of people were thinking that money would solve the problem... but obviously it wouldn't because there are plenty of disrespectful people who can afford $20 a year. ;) Hell, not only that, but if they were paying to use the site then they would feel even that much more entitled to complain about everything...

No, I cannot afford it

Incorrect. You can afford it, but you wish to prioritize your surplus spending. i.e. you fly, jump, auto racing, and whatever else...

15-20 bucks a year is a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of these things. But you have the right of course to list your spending priorities any way you like, this means that you can afford it, but you don't want to...:D

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

I come to dropzone.com most every day, to read and learn about SKYDIVING. Talkback may be a good place to make new friends, if that's what you need, but I already have more friends than I have time for, so no, I wouldn't pay a dime. HOWEVER, I do plan to send a donation, very soon, of more than $20, to Sangiro for running the best damn skydiving website online! Thanks HH! (And to all the moderators for donating their precious time, thank you as well!)

if they were paying to use the site then they would feel even that much more entitled to complain about everything...

And that, Shotgun, is the primary reason I'm against it. You think folks have a hard time with respect now, just wait til they start throwing around the phrase "I paid for this.." yada yada...

If it's about donations, fine, let those who can, contribute. Castigating someone because they don't send in a donation really isn't good, and promotes an "I'm better than you, you lazy kitten poster you" attitude...

Furthermore, donations are between me and the person/place I'm donating to. It's not something which will be done as a public declaration.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Yup, Guests *can* post, but here's the deal. The IP address you're on is shown to HH and the greenies, so if someone who is a users posts as a guest and is an ass, then they can still ban the user.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."