Keith

Would you pay to post to Talk Back?

No, I cannot afford it :( Of course, I guess some here would like for me to be gone, so if this becomes the rule, pay to post, I guess they will be happy, because i will be gone. :( It really SUX to be so broke you can barely afford to live! :(
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

No, I wouldn't pay for the right to only post in talkback. I would pay out of respect for HH...if I could afford that. And I would pay for the right to use DZ.com as a whole. But not only for talkback. I have other forums to use if I want to BS with friends.

I think $20 a year is a small price to pay

$20 is only small to someone who has income. Without a true income, $20 can mean gas or food or a jump to stay current or almost 1/3rd of the USPA membership or the only way to keep the lights from being turned off.

I would never pay $20 for the right to post to talkback. I wouldn't pay it for the right to post general skydiving or incidents or the women's forum, either. I would, however, seriously consider paying for general access to the website. That is why I am working right now, so I can afford the things I want. However, next year...well, next year is a whole different story and new budget, so we'll see.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

i think $20 a year is reasonable, even with the exchange rate! :S. that said, i would also be in favour of a 10 post a day limit to talkback. there are lots of chat sites on the 'net, so if all you want to do is chat, find another spot, no biggie. :)
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Keith, great question. However, I have donated to HH on several occasions. I don't think I would want to be forced to pay a fee.

If I had to, $20 per year is certainly reasonable. However, it would work out to a lot less than I have donated.

Chris

[Reply]Sure would. That would weed out the people who want to be here and the people who can be here.

(bolded to illustrate)

I don't get your point?? :| You mean only those that can afford it? I have friends that just don't have money right now...to exclude people like that would make the forum not worth my time or money.

And I have donated MUCH MORE than that amount...I have no problem supporting as I'm doin' Ok...but limiting based on payment would lose my interest real quick...and who would want to pay to advertise to a then limited viewer group? Skydiving is a small enough sport as it is...as a business owner myself, VISIBILITY is key...[:/]

I would have no problem giving that amount or more, as I stated I already do, but I voted 'No' on principle.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

First off, if people skydive they can afford to pay $20.00 a year. If you cant afford $20.00 a year people are full of shit...My opinion.

my point is that the people who pay a fee to be on the site will have every intention to contribute to the comments or just lurk to be on the site, they have a real interest in skydiving, even if they do not jump.

People who do not want to pay a fee to be on the site will move on to some other one. I guess it would make the site more attractive to me knowing that everyone else that is on here has paid to be here not just here because the services are free.

I hope that helps you.

"$20 is only small to someone who has income. Without a true income, $20 can mean gas or food or a jump to stay current or almost 1/3rd of the USPA membership or the only way to keep the lights from being turned off."
------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Dagny. That sums it up right there....$20 is only a small amount to someone who has income! Seems people that have jobs, and income can afford to pay for things forget that there are people that don't and can't.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

"First off, if people skydive they can afford to pay $20.00 a year. If you cant afford $20.00 a year people are full of shit...My opinion."
------------------------------------------------------------
Full of shit? Fine, then I will gladly swap places with you and let you see how full of shit I am. Try doing anything without having a job/income! I have jumped a total of 1, uno, one, singular, as in one single time since January, and that was ONLY because someone felt sorry for me, and bought me jump ticket , and someone else hooked me up with a rig! Full of shit? Why the FUCK do you think that just might be? It must be nice to have a job, and income so you can look down and tell everybody that cannot afford something how full of shit they are! >:( :(
--------

The ONE thing I do know about Lee is he's a straight-up guy.....he wouldn't lie about this.

I was in his shoes a few years back and it was degrading...............it was bad.......something you don't forget.

I'm so sure of this, I would make a contribution for him if it comes down to this.

Full of shit? Fine, then I will gladly swap places with you and let you see how full of shit I am. Try doing anything without having a job/income! I have jumped a total of 1, uno, one, singular, as in one single time since January, and that was ONLY because someone felt sorry for me, and bought me jump ticket , and someone else hooked me up with a rig! Full of shit? Why the FUCK do you think that just might be? It must be nice to have a job, and income so you can look down and tell everybody that cannot afford something how full of shit they are***

What a bunch of crap. Do you want me to feel sorry for you? Well guess what I don’t. So you are telling me you can not find any work what so ever? Do you have a burger king or Mc Donald’s in your town? If so, go flip burgers. When I was in College, in shit hole Monroe, Louisiana I took a job at 2 dollars an hour making cinnamon rolls for 10 hours a day 3 days a week. Jobs are all over the place, but some people will not take on a position that is below them. I am so sick of people crying about no work, come to Illinois I can hook you up tomorrow with an all kinds of work. Construction clean up person 15 hour cash, do you want that job? If so let me know, I have some friends who builds custom homes and they can not find enough people to learn the trade. So if you want it, send me an e-mail you got the job. You know when most of grandparents had bullshit, low paying, ass busting jobs they call that an opportunity, today people are to dam lazy or want a job in their specific field, well that is not reality. You have money to pay for internet connections don’t you? $20.00 a year is less then.01 cents a day.

I work on average 80-100 hours a week. Why so I can have the things in life that I want to have, so my kids can have a solid home, an education etc. I could work 40 a just get by but I don’t.

EDIT: you are Retired military (USMC), do you not receive a pention? If it were to come to a $20.00 a year fee, I will pay that for you since you served out great country how is that.

And so it begins! Feedback becomes the new Talkback.

The problem is that whereever the general population can put their opinions up, they will! Whether it is on topic or not.

That being said, and in an effort to make this a suggestion not a sermon, Perhaps the answer lies in a compromise. What about a Talkback that grooms after a period of time, AND limits on Numbers of Posts, AND a Fee Schedule to increase those post limits.

That would allow us a place to mix and mingle, keep the blatant PWing to a minimum, keep the server load down to a dull roar and help HH support this obviously well loved community he has created for us.

Larry A-43434