fudd

Talk back

Rating other posters is useless and a horrible idea. This is a website to learn and have fun, not a popularity contest. There would be many users who would rate others poorly simply because they didn't like them. Besides, anyone who holds one user's opinion heavier than one whose rating is not so high is a complete dumbass. Whatever happened to common sense and intuition? When did these traits vanish from human existance?

I hate to say this...I agree with you;)

Popularity contests are about as important as post numbers when determining content
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

$20 per year to post to TalkBack only....all the other forums remain free. And management reserves the right to ban you for instigating chaos, fee non-refundable.

I think the people who really enjoy it would donate one jump per year to do so, and the ones that want to abuse it, and risk losing their money, wouldn't even bother to sign up.

Just my two cents.

I made my first post here in August 2000, the day after my first static-line jump.....TalkBack has been as much a part of my skydiving life as the jump planes are. It's sad to see it go.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

...Don't log on in a year...Username is deleted.

I wouldn't do that. I know a couple people who spent a lot of time on-llne, then got sent to the desert to be shot at, and were off line for a long time. In one case the person's login was deleted (on another forum, not this one), and they were kind of peeved when they returned to "normal" life and found they had been removed from the forum they used to frequent.

I would just like to add (kind of along the same lines as this) that I don't think its a good idea to delete old posts if we are talking about all the forums. I like to read old posts in other forums (not talkback usually) and learn from people that may not be on the site anymore for whatever reason. I have learned alot from old posts of those that are here, have moved on, or are no longer with us and I hope to continue that...

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

My suggestion is just to delete old threads in talkback. Talkback threads that hasn't been posted to in the last three/four days isn't that interesting anymore anyway.
Topical forums actually contains information, and posts should not be deleted as they often add to the value of dz.com.

How long people have been members say something about how long they have participated on the site. Way more interesting than post numbers:
<6 months - Newbie
>12 months - Regular
> 18 monts - Resident
>36 months - Old timer

Makes more sense to me.
It's kind of nice that talkback has gone skydiving for a little while. I wish I was away skydiving as well...but soon...

Only opening talkback to people who pay would probably make it a private forum for a few people only. If Sangiro wants to make money he can sell the option to get your username yellow (or some other color), greenies, red hot HH and the yellows...

I'll bet 100 people would buy a yellow color to their username for $15 :)That would be $1500 more than he gets today.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I'd pay that.

I was looking at the donation screen yesterday, and had decided to make a donation today (payday!) because I'd been having a lot of fun here recently.

Then, my favorite forum got axed, so I decided not to donate, because I didn't want to donate to a forum that I wouldn't be using as much. A post here and there, maybe, but I was using the forums as a way to network with other skydivers, to meet people, and without talkback, that ability is cut down a lot. For the technical stuff up here, well, its nice to have, but I ask my instructors about that, so it isn't really necessary to me. The information can (AND SHOULD!) be gotten from other sources than an online message board where anyone can post bad advice (lots of good advice too, but not always easy to separate good from bad). For me, a forum is a way to kill time when I'm bored. Its amusement. Remove the fun, and it isn't worth as much to me.

I'd definitely pay $20 to have talkback back again.

I am doing my best not to instigate anything, so bare with me... I am only playing Devil's Advocate here...

These are all SKYDIVING related...And this is a SKYDIVING website.
It is NOT a Republican or Democratic support page...you can go to:
http://www.georgewbush.com
or
http://www.johnkerry.com/
to read all you want about politics

True, I can go there to read all I want about politics, but I also want to discuss politics from time to time. A lot of those websites that are geared for politics don't allow bulletin board forums because of different reasons (from ignoring people that disagree to money spent on campaing/advertising).

I agree that HH could better use the bandwidth and money, and I also agree that if I search enough, there are sites out there that posting is allowed. However, the people posting are not skydivers and generally are untrustworthy (see related post earlier). Talk Back was a place where these things may have been discussed, argued, or ignored, but you could almost always be assured that someone would post something...

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

$20 per year to post to TalkBack only....all the other forums remain free. And management reserves the right to ban you for instigating chaos, fee non-refundable.

I think the people who really enjoy it would donate one jump per year to do so, and the ones that want to abuse it, and risk losing their money, wouldn't even bother to sign up... It's sad to see it go.

Don

Sweet idea - elegantly solves two problems at once. Plus, I paid my fee late last week! B|

Also, a 'member since _' rating is a great idea. I have another idea for that, but I'll take it to the other thread.

Thanks HH, for all you do. I miss TalkBack, like everyone does, but it's time to revamp. This shouldn't have to be so much of a chore for you and the mods.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

My suggestion is just to delete old threads in talkback

old TB threads are part of what makes our community. Clay's sheep, Skreamer's spoting, etc... Yeah, its goofy, but ist still the soul of dz.com

Its not old threads that are a problem, its dragging a dead horse in every day (several times a day) and starting to beat it over and over again.
Remster

Then, my favorite forum got axed, so I decided not to donate,

Haha! I decided to donate because it got axed! This is a much needed lesson for some that this is not your playground!

but I was using the forums as a way to network with other skydivers, to meet people,

I definitely did the same. I networked here as a way to find a ride from Orlando to Lake Wales, and I met Phreezone because of it. My home dz was closing, and I wanted to travel, so I met people here and traveled around a bit. It was always fun meeting people and staying connected with them through this site. I don't have the interest in travelling around to a bunch of dzs anymore, so I don't socialize much here anymore, so maybe that's why I don't really miss TB.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

People, I've been reading all the replies and it really makes me laugh, I mean, why do we have to complicate things?, first of all, I don't give a rat's ass about "titles" or "security ID", or crap like that, I was under the impression that this board was about skydiving and making friends, the first needs no explanation, the second is to MEET people, exchange experiences and yes, bullshit a little and goof around, in most occasions to "escape" of the daily routine, I, like many others, work with computers and are hooked up most of the day, and if not, this is a little niche in which you can forget about your mortgage, car payments, bad weather, etc, etc, and relax and laugh for a moment, why do you need to bring politics or religion or issues like that to a board like this?, if you are a "religious" or "anti-religion" person, search and post to the pertinent boards (if you are able to post here, that means that you can at least know how to use a computer and use Google), same thing for politics, I don't really care about what Sangiro, or Rdy2Skydive or Muenkel think about Bush or Kerry or whoever, if that's the case CALL them on the phone or get somewhere and discuss it.

Now we're talking about encryption, and user validation and blah blah blah, c'mon, get real, just cut the crap, take your "controversial" issues somewhere else and leave the rest of us have some fun.

just cut the crap, take your "controversial" issues somewhere else and leave the rest of us have some fun.

My two-cents worth:

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Everyone has personal preferences for certain topics that they would rather not see here. However, those preferences vary from person to person. If you restricted everything to which any person objects, then there won't be anything remaining.

If we're going to have a Talkback forum, then the topics shouldn't be restricted.

They should, however, be clearly labeled in the subject title. That way, everyone can choose wisely according to their own preferences, as to which threads to read, and which to ignore.

Rather than censor others from talking about things they like, I suggest it is more appropriate for people to just skip over the threads that they don't like. That way, everyone gets to participate in their own favorite topics, unhindered. If you don't like to talk about so-called "controversial" topics, that's fine - skip over them. But don't prohibit others from talking about such things if that's what they like.

That seems like the only reasonable compromise to me.

You have to dig through a lot of dirt to find a few gems. That's the nature of any online forum with thousands of people, all with different sets of interests. Learn to live with it, rather than try to change everyone else to your personal liking.

And one more thing...

Part of what makes the Talkback forum better than other topical forums on the internet, is that in those other places, everyone is anonymous. The nature of that is such that people are more rude than they would be in a real life face-to-face discussion, because they know they'll never actually meet the people they're talking to, in person. This forum, however, by it's very nature, gives us a common bond. As we travel around the country and visit other drop zones, there is a very real possibility that we'll run into each other somewhere. This makes the discussion more personal, and more civil. I think that makes Talkback something worth keeping, because it offers a forum that is different in character from the run of the mill internet forums. We're all "family" here.

You don't get it. There doesn't need to be a compromise. This is Sangiro's place. He can do whatever he wants with it...even shut it down.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Rather than censor others from talking about things they like, I suggest it is more appropriate for people to just skip over the threads that they don't like. That way, everyone gets to participate in their own favorite topics, unhindered. If you don't like to talk about politics, that's fine - skip over them. But don't prohibit others from talking about it if that's what they like.

Skip threads? dude....a big chunk of those threads were "skippable".

Anyway, I'm not going to touch this subject again because it will never end (just like those pointless politics and religion threads), besides, the only one who can say what's acceptable and what's not is HH, ultimately this is his board and he can do whatever he wants, ALL OF US are just GUESTS here. PERIOD.

You don't get it. There doesn't need to be a compromise. This is Sangiro's place. He can do whatever he wants with it...even shut it down.

That is true. However, I believe that he takes into account the ideas and opinions of the participants here. That's why we're all spouting off in this thread. It is simply our exercise of free speech to voice our opinions, and to try to shape the nature of the forum. I don't see anything wrong with that.

You know, if everybody wants to just talk about whatever, but wants to stay in touch, you can go to rec.skydiving. There's no monitor, so you can truly discuss whatever you want. The downside is that there are already a bunch of opiniated old timers populating it now, which is why I left and came to DZ.com in the first place. But if enough DZ.commies start posting, you could make a place for yourselves. All this, of course, just until Talk Back returns... Just a suggestion.

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

Then, my favorite forum got axed, so I decided not to donate, because I didn't want to donate to a forum that I wouldn't be using as much.

You have an average of 14.1 posts per day. Might I suggest that you may be overdue?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

@ CrazyIvan: AMEN!

@johnrich: why am i not surprised to find your comments in here? if i remember correctly you were one of those who started many highly controversial threads that ended up in bashing each other :(
if thats a personal attack - i'm ready & willing to take the fork

@ the rest of the whiney bunch: get over it. and to make a religious quote: who is free of sin may cast the first stone

@HH: maybe some people start to think about behaving themselves

and before this turns out something mean: over & out
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Ok, so talk back was closed last night.

Is it coming back? I'm confused :S

I agree, there were a number of hot topics in there that there really was no need for, but there were lots of other topics, heck just goofy stuff that i really enjoyed.

i made a lot of friends through talk back, it was like the bonfire at the end of the night :(

i would be willing to pay to have it back.

can we not just kick out the trouble makers?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Is it coming back? I'm confused

I believe it's safe to say that Talkback will be coming back. It has not yet been determined when though. The Team Members are in the dungeon working on it. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Here is a lowly suggestion:
Have someone that doesn't mind the political/gun control debates be a moderator in ONLY THOSE FORUMS, no others. Then, other greenies that don't appreciate the political forums can just ignore them... What say you?;)

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire