skydive4play

What Main?

I have just purchased my new Javelin Odyssey container. I want to place a 170 square foot main in it. Any suggestions on what kind of main I should get. I want a main that is going to open nicely and still (when I am ready) give me nice fast swoops for landings. I have my colors picked and was thinking of getting a Saber. I just soled my Javelin J-4 with it's Falcon 210. I have been ready for sometime to down size, just don't know what kind of ZP main will give me what I want.... Can anyone help?

I'm looking at an Odyssey with a Spectre 150 as my main (I'm about 190 out the door). I did a lot of asking around and it pretty much came down to a Spectre or Safire. I talked to a few Spectre owners and it seemed to have most of the qualities I was looking for: consistent, soft (but slow) openings, lots of flare power, but slightly elliptical so you can have a little fun with it as well.
One of our guys at the DZ has a Spectre and was on a load that was *really* long. He was one of the few who made it back. Said he just grabbed onto the rear risers and did almost a flat glide all the way back. Had 1000 feet to burn when he hit the DZ.
Plus, when I've mentioned to everyone that I was planning on a Spectre, they seemed to all think that was a really good choice.
Just my $0.02
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

One thing I'd add tha made me opt out on the Sabre is that I'm pretty much tired of getting pounded by the thing. It seems to be really fussy about the pack job. Most of the time ouur packers do a good job on it, but every now & then I get stung.
I've heard you don't even have to roll a Spectres nose. Still opens nice and soft (just get ready for 600-800 foot openings).
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Hi there,
OK... Here we go on yet another advertisement for the Aerodyne Triathlon:D.
I can't remember what you weigh, but the Tri is VERY flexible at 1.2lbs/ft2 (which is where I'm jumping my 175 Hybrid). Nice smooth opening over about 4secs (as long as the slider is up properly:o). The Hybrid has a good glide, nice opening, fairly responsive & forgiving. I can either scream in on front risers & surf it, or ease in on about 1/3-1/2 brakes & "jerk" the flare for a pinpoint landing.
I'm not going to claim that the Tri is the best at everything, but as an "all-round" canopy it is hard to beat.
Mike D10270.
PS. Get the Hybrid & you're all set to do casual CReW (if you ever feel the urge to try DELIBERATE canopy collisions:S.

I ordered an Oddysee about a month ago and I have gone through the exact same decision. I had a sabre 150 and I was looking at getting something different. I jumped the spectre, thought it was fun. I filled out an order form for a Lotus (Brian Germaine's 9 cell slightly elliptical airlocked canopy) and then thought better about spending 1,600 bucks to be a test jumper. I was thinking about the safire, but I keep hearing really bad things about them from everyone I ask. People keep saying that I would hate it because it flares poorly, etc. Long story short, I ended up getting a Sabre 135. I haven't had any issues with the 150 so why should the 135 be different? I figured that would fly the sh*t out of this 135 and then move towards an elliptical 135 when I am ready...then, way in the future, downsize. That way I will be getting the most (3 different canopies) out of the Oddysee that I paid crazy cash for.
How long did it take you to get your Oddysee from the date that you ordered it??? They are telling me 9 weeks. I just cant wait!!!!
"I'll jump anything!"

Nine weeks??? Dang they must be getting busy... last Odyssey I saw come in only took 6.
As for mains, best way to figure out which is right for you is to do what numskull said - demo. Personally I love the Spectre but what I like may not be what you will like. Call the various manufacturers and have them send you whichever canopies you are interested in; cost you about $40 per canopy and you'll get to keep it for a couple of weeks.
pull and flare,
lisa

Yebo, 9 freakin weeks...another crappy thing is that my rig (the one that I am going to sell when I get my new one) is due for a repack at the end of this month. We are going to be jumping again mid April up here in New England with a new super otter and I dont feel like paying the extra 45 bucks to get a repack so I can jump it for a couple of weeks until I get my new rig. I am hoping that Sun Path has made a grave error and they will be sending it out to me within the next couple of weeks. There I go dreaming again...
"I'll jump anything!"

I strongly recommend you don't buy a new Sabre. They are old technology, and are becoming difficult to sell. It'll be even worse when the rumoured new PD lightly elliptical canopy arrives. Plus they open hard sometimes, even if you pack carefully, though a larger slider helps (ask PD).
If you get a Spectre or Safire, you'll have consistent soft openings. Personally, I didn't like the Spectre because of the poor glide angle when driving into the wind, but loads of people love them. Safire is great, but definitely a little more difficult to land, and it's more 'elliptical' in the way it responds - glides better but dives more and picks up more speed in turns.
As someone else said, demoing is the best way to choose, because we all have different preferences.
Just my 2 cents.
Geoff

"I strongly recommend you don't buy a new Sabre. They are old technology, and are becoming difficult to sell. It'll be even worse when the rumoured new PD lightly elliptical canopy arrives."
I talked to some people who have demo'd the new PD "safire-like" canopy and it got good reviews. That being said - don't buy a new canopy if you can find what you want used. An assortment of Safires can be found at http://www.skydivechicago.com