flighty

Identity Status Suggestion

This will be my last post on this subject - I just want to clarify why I suggested a 'verified' expert status while pushing the importance of anonymity. Anonymity is important because it allows people to ask questions they may be embarrassed to ask if they could be identified. Some people abuse this, but I strongly believe more people will benefit from this than will abuse it. An identified 'expert' status will allow a new skydiver to make some sense out of threads containing many posts - especially threads with dozens of different opinions. I used to do that with large threads using the moderator responses as a starting point. I would scan through the posts and read the moderator posts, then read the posts they were responding too. The moderators have an implied level of trust that the general posting community does not have. I was thinking of something similar for someone who would like to contribute their expertise but does not want to moderate others - the expert status.

And last but not least - I am not trying to say I KNOW what is best. Just making a suggestion on what I think. And this site has always been great!

To me there a couple of seperate issues lumped in together and I am not sure there is one solution to solve the seperate issues.

I think it would be nice to have a feature like Clownburner's known/unknown idea, specially if it is pulished information as to who vouched for the person. It allows you to use your common sense, yet cut down on the time required to get to know some one. I think it would be even better if this rating was somewhat forum specific. Obviously if my "known rating" is high in TalkBack, that means nothing when I make a post in the BASE forum.

Seperate is the issue of identifying "experts". I think it would be a great feature if there was a way to instantly see if some one is a "known expert" in the field they are giving advice on. Maybe this could be in the form of a locked field in their profile where HH or some of the greenies can provide further information on that person. Lets say a two-liner bio indicating who that person is. An icon or symbol could be placed next to this persons name when they post to indicate that such info is available on their profile. Maybe it is even possible to only display that icon when they post in a forum that is tied to their expertise.

These suggestions do not take the place of common sense. They just help you reach a sensible conclusion faster.

Sangiro, I think you have done an amazing job with this website. It was very interesting to find out how many of these features are well thought out during the short talks at WFFC and are not just blind luck ;) It will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Ok, try this as a system. It would be voulontarry, but listed under your username.

-A few regulars from around the country are given the ability to do the known /unknown thing for people.

-They do this by filling in a form for that person.

-Once three people fill out the form for someone they are made "known".

-after ten people fill out the form for them they are given the ability to fill in forms for others.

-If they feel the person is an "expert" in a field they check that box. Expert status would have strict guidelines and be made rarely available.

-The persons who filled in forms for you would be in your profile, so abuse could be tracked down quickly.

Having a person's location would make abuse quickly obvious. ie: there's no tm named Betty Spegetti in NH and lots of people would know that.

form: Username = _____________
.... Location = ____________
.... Expert = Rigging __
......... Freeflying __
......... AFF __
......... BASE __
......... CReW __
......... History __

For example:
Billbooth:ph34r:
status=known
location = Florida, USA
Rigging, Tandums, History

~Cindy~
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Spelling and grammar errors are left as an exercise for the reader.

Not everyone is in the USPA.:S
Even the FAI D license numbers are nationally administered so I'm not sure what benefit this might bring.,
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

it'd be nice to be able to put either license #, or jump numbers if someone doesn't have a license number.

Also already been discussed. :)
Here's an example that Remi posted. We'll probably not show that much information but decide on a meaningful sub-set.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

its strange not having the rankings any more. Everyone seems like they've only been here 5 minutes though.
It would be nice to have an idea of how long people have been here though and how active they are. Yes, i know its like asking for PWing. But is there not some more basic system, with fewer titles just so we can get an idea who's been here years and whose just signed up?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

not trying to be a smartass here, i promise...but isnt that what the 'registered on' date is for? to show how long a user has been around? imo, thats all we need. i dont post too often, but i know who is active just because i read more posts from some than others. if you really need to see how many posts a user has made, its in their profile. i dont see how that neccessarily pertains to the purpose of the site, though. im not going to value one person's opinion over another because of how many posts they have made; it would be based on their experience in the sport...

obviously i have 1 jump and have been interested in skydiving only 7 months....that should give everyone enough info about what my skills are lol.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I think there should be no person on dropzone.com unleass they are willing to state their name and all relevant information about themselves in their profile.

What are they ashamed of anyhow?...their name?

I gotta agree with you on this post. There is a skydiving chat line in Canada who some people must be ashamed of there name.

this is the internet and there are psychos out there.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't like the "Last Login" feature...

Edited to say: maybe this is a little paranoid, but I don't like anyone to know my business or what I do in life. As always, just my $0.02, take it as you will...

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

when i first came to dz.com there was this thing called the repost-police :S
now it seems the whole thing moved one step further - we have the credibility police :|
i really like the idea of having "blockwarts" spying, pointing fingers & giving notice. that's definitely a worthy addition to the friendly atmosphere of the forums >:(:(
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666