Craig

New canopy...@#$%!

I am still working on getting this whole pro pack thing down. It all goes well until I start the "S" folds after the canopy is cocooned up. At this point smashes out to the sides, especially on the last fold where it was not contained by the few rolls near the bridle attachment before it was sat down on the ground. I have even started at the bag end of the canopy "S" folding and tucking the line end in last. I have also tried the Walmari pack and it all ends up coming apart between the last fold and shoving it in the bag, and if I get it in the bag and get the locking stows closed the bag looks like it is going to bust seams. The canopy is new, as well as my Pro Packing skills so I was wondering if anyone had a few pointers? I am not going to mess around with Psycho packing since it is a Triathlon and the openings will already be nice and I don't want 1,000 foot openings. I'm sure it is just a matter of breaking in the canopy, but any advice would be helpful.
Thank you,
Craig

You know, it really is hard to pack a malfunction. And it doesn't have to look neat and pretty in the bag in order to open nice. Some of my best openings on my sabre have been really ugly looking pack jobs, where I just sort of ended up stuffing it in the bag. Just watch your slider and be careful with your lines, and even if it looks like sh@#, it should still work.
Sorry, no real suggestions for taming that slippery zero p material. I have a brand new Spectre and its a b@#$% to pack, so I'm going through the same thing. I actually had John LeBlanc of PD try and show me how to control it. Firm but gentle, don't kneel directly on it, wrap the tail tightly were some of his suggestions.
Good luck!

Tigra wrote:
Sorry, no real suggestions for taming that slippery zero p material. I have a brand new Spectre and its a
b@#$% to pack, so I'm going through the same thing. I actually had John LeBlanc of PD try and show me how
to control it. Firm but gentle, don't kneel directly on it, wrap the tail tightly were some of his suggestions.

Well, I was doing some searching around on some web sites and came across this page...
Z-Po Packing Page
There is also a link to some photo illustrations.
Out of the 15 or so times I have packed (or lack thereof) and pulled it back out of the bag this method had fantastic results, on the first try to boot. It resulted in a smaller pack volume and a way neater and easier to control "S" fold. Try it out and see if it works for you.
Craig

I have also used Brent's method and it works for me. Another tip I got from somewhere else. You don't have to fold the whole thing into a stack and try to get all of it in the bag at once. Fold the part closest to the bag first, put it in, then "tuck in" the part with the lines. I find this much easier.

The best way to "s" fold the canopy is: Once you have it "V'd" on the floor and you have layed on it to get all of the air out, get up on your knees, place your hand around the canopy,(thumb under canopy) and roll it "under" the rest of the canopy. Then squeeze it together and place the bag on it. Once that is done, turn around and shove the lines to the front of the bag and close it up... I got a new Spectre about 3 months ago and this procedure never failed. Always went in the bag good and opened even better. Not sure if that was the Spectre doing that or the pack, but regardless, it worked. I had a master rigger show me this about 6 years ago and it has not failed me yet. I am flying a Cobalt 135 now and it is the same deal. Easy to get in the bag, great openings. Just be sure to keep you lines tight. If you have any questions about it, I would be glad to help you out.

Another thing that you may want to try is to not put a ton of pressure on the canopy when you are 's' folding it. I know that sometimes when the packjob isnt going as planned I can get a little worked up and fight harder with it. When you put excessive pressure on the canopy when it is 's' folded, it will shoot out on you more. The more pressure you put the more sliding you get, so you want to put enough pressure just to hold it there and not to have it squirt out. Good Luck
"I'll jump anything!"

This is how I do it:
Put the top of the canopies "ears" into the corners of the bag,(it is still "cocooned"), fold from the center of the canopy to the back of the bag (not inside yet but on top), fold from the lines under what I just folded on top(still outside the bag), then I move to the front and proceed to place the corners of the two folds into the corners of the bag, stow the lines.
basically all I do is put the top of the canopy in the bag first, fold the rest on top of the bag, and put the rest into the bag on top of the first. You do get a little balooning from the corners, but the center usually remains nice and makes it easier to stow the lines. I may be putting up some packing-info/photos/tips on the web soon for another site I'm working on, and I will do it in this fashion.
Does that make any sense?
D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

Well, I was doing some searching around on some web sites and came across this page...
Z-Po Packing Page
There is also a link to some photo illustrations.
Out of the 15 or so times I have packed (or lack thereof) and pulled it back out of the bag this method had fantastic results, on the first try to boot. It resulted in a smaller pack volume and a way neater and easier to control "S" fold. Try it out and see if it works for you.
Craig

Heya - just wanted to say thanks for posting the info on that method of packing a zp...I tried it yesterday on my brand new Spectre...while also using the method that Dutchboy (& a few others, I think) described, where you make the 2nd S fold first & get that in the bag, then tuck the 1st S fold in between. What a difference! I'd been packing the canopy at home last week trying to get used to it before jumping it this weekend, and couldn't really get it in the bag without help from hubby with controlling it. With the new method, I can do it by myself, and it looks better than any pack job I've done so far (admittedly not that many). So, thanks again for the info - that *really* helped!! :)Tame ZP's,
Karen