webracer

Pack Volumes

Pretty new to the sport and in need of opinions (anyone got one?).
I bought a new Wings container (this was a container someone put a deposit on and then backed out of), and was informed it was designed for a 150 reserve, but would fit (tight)a PD176R and Spectre 170. I called Tim @ wings, and was told a PD160R would be more like it, and even that would be snug. He stated pack volumes for the container I bought (W-11) were 330 reserve and 385 main. I called Ed Cummings, and he said that a Dash-M 181 will pack roughly the same as a PD160R (My goal is to get the most reserve canopy over my head). My rigger says he'll be able to get it in if that is true. Tim at Wings says the 181-M won't fit. The published pack volumes are 364 for the PD160R and 370 for the 181-M.
I weigh 175-180, so my exit weight will be about 205. I am also putting in a cypres. My biggest concern is the purchase of a canopy that won't fit (noone contests the main fitting). I think a 160 is too small for me. I am putting a new canopy in the reserve container, so if I buy a 176 or 181 and it doesn't fit, I'll have to sell it at a loss (unused). Maybe I can make a deal with the dealer to take it back if it doesn't fit?
I am soliciting any and all informed opinions on this issue, especially Dash-M pack volume vs. PDR pack volume. Raven does claim a much smaller pack volume per sq'.
If you can help, please do.
BTW: I realize starting with the container was a mistake, but that's the situation I am in at the moment. Next time around I will have my own container made for the canopies I want to fly
Thanks
Troy
[email protected]

Pretty new to the sport and in need of opinions (anyone got one?).

Opinions?? Here??? rofl!!
Go with what Tim at Wings is telling you. Even if your rigger could stuff the 181-M in there you would not like the pack job - it would be really hard and uncomfortable on your back and it would not look "right".
Personally I think you are right; a 160 is too small for a novice jumper at 180lbs. body weight. I'd suggest getting a container sized for the canopies you'll be using. Any reputable gear dealer should be willing to take the container back as long as it has not been jumped, especially considering that you didn't order it custom; if not I'd be going somewhere else for my next purchase.
pull and flare,
lisa

Troy,
I'm in a similar situation, having just purchased a Wings container because the deal was too good to pass up, and I just fell in love with it. Fits nice, very comfortable, and great design. Really nice looking rig. I wasn't looking for a new container, but this one found me anyway.
Since I already have a perfectly good system, I have time to piece this one together. My plan is to take it to my rigger and get his opinion as far as what size reserve and main will fit, and also get more feedback from Tim @ Wings. This container may require downsizing my main, (and I just bought a new spectre), and will definately call for a smaller reserve than I currently jump, but not ridiculously small. My reserve is already slightly smaller than my main. Like you, I want the largest reserve which will safely fit in the container. If I need to shelve this rig for awhile as I transition into a slightly smaller main, and maybe lose a little weight so I don't load the reserve too badly, for me that's OK. But, again, this isn't my only rig. I don't know if that helps or not, but you are not alone in your dilemma.
Good luck! And Lisa is right. Tim can give you a better idea of what will fit. I would take his word for it, and if you aren't comfortable with it, don't jump it.

Just a stray thought... The PISA Tempo reserves are TSO C23'd and have something of a reputation for (relatively) small pack volumes!

Good point, Mike. I have a Dolphin D3 which is sized for a 170 reserve, but I have a Tempo 210 in it that works just fine.

Just a quick question:
I don't know very well the container you bought, but if the volumes for main and reserve you're quoting are right, it won't fit a MAIN bigger that 150 (and probably not even that as, for example, Sabre 150 needs about, if not more than, 400 cu.in.).
So, the question is, if you feel a 160 reserve is too little for you, how can a 135/150 main be big enough?
A.

Your are talking about a seven cell f111 compared to a nine cell zp. Do you think I should try to find an 85 sq ft reserve to match my main? How many times have you jumped your reserve. Some people demo them, but a lot of people never jump them until they need to. At that point their may be a lot of factors that would make it more apealing to have more fabric over their head. Even more so as a novice jumper.
c

Thank you Craddock, obvious to me, but not to all. I have had two reserve rides due to freefall injuries (couldn't pull main), and that meant coming down with one arm (other dislocated). While my medical problems ($30K later) are supposed to be resolved now, I still want as much fabric over my head incase I am back to one arm again.

craddock,
Yes, I agree with you when you say that after a mal. the most fabric above your head the better, expecially if the mal has caused some kind of shock or even panic or body injuries.
But, in my two cents worth opinion, it should be obvious to everybody also that the factors that make keeping main and reserve balanced a better option are many and all important. First of all, for example, a "Two squares out" situation, where a big difference in sizes can give you lots of problems (see PIA report on this issue). I've seen people killed by that situation and, everything you can do to make it "easily manageable" should be done.
In this context, I personally think that if you don't feel confident with 150 sqft above your head, independently from the no. of cells or the fabric, you shouldn't go for it. Neither main nor reserve.
Canopy manufacturers usually recommend reserves no more than one size bigger than main. I suppose that has some reasons in it and not only that they fancy this option.
If you jump an 85 sqft it probably means you have the experience and the skills to do it and to deal with the smallest reserves available on the market.
What I'd like to point out is that what some people consider obvious, it's just another "catch 22" choice (like almost everything in this sport), where what at a first glance looks really obvious has ALWAYS "side effects". "side effects" that maybe concern less likely situations. But always possible.
But, i repeat it, that's only my 0.02 worth opinion...
A.