Squeak

Freebag Lockup

Anyone know the story behind this?
John Sherman?

Yes, I do. What would you like to know?

Like the OP states, what's the story behind it?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Anyone know the story behind this?
John Sherman?

Yes, I do. What would you like to know?

Well, it says "Main 170sq ft." What size reserve? What size container (IOW, what size main and reserve were supposed to be in there)?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

From JumpShack FB page:

"Parachute Labs, Inc.: This was not staged. It was just a customer rig that came in for inspection & repack. Boxing of the upper portion of the reserve container, tuck tabs and riser covers encroaching over the side flaps all contributed to holding the reserve d-bag in."

Well, it says "Main 170sq ft." What size reserve? What size container (IOW, what size main and reserve were supposed to be in there)?

It was a V3 with a PD176R packed on 3/20/2001 and as said a 170 main. It was not staged. Remember the fact that the main was full and packed, this might make a difference.
I don't know what is supposed to go in there as it came to us packed for cyclic inspection and we videoed it as we often routinly did. I believe the combinations were correct. This happened in 2001 and has been on the web for that long. It is not uncommon. Yes the owner was told and shown the video. I don't believe he is in the sport any longer.
A USPA Bullitin issued a couple of years ago solicited info about situations like this to be reported to the PIA tech comm.
There has been considerable conversation over the years on this forum. If you want to know about more, just ask for it. I am sure you will get your inbox filled.

We've seen this one before quite a while back IIRCC

Well John, I noticed that the direction of pull was not as it would have been in the air...unless the jumper was standing upright at reserve deployment.

Rigs are not designed to have the bag come out at that angle.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well John, I noticed that the direction of pull was not as it would have been in the air...unless the jumper was standing upright at reserve deployment.

Question for you...

Total malfunction...the jumper freaks out because he can't find his reserve handle. He stops arching and he goes butt down.....the AAD fires.

Which direction the RPC will go and what will be the angle of pulling ?
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Usually, when I have a partial, the malfunctioned main sets me up into the vertical. I know that it would be wrong for me to go back into the horizontal because I want the air flowing over my back to sweep off any possibility of a burble. Additionally, I am in a position to accept opening shock. Likewise when I am deploying from the horizontal (main or reserve) I "Sit up and dump" or get vertical for the above reasons. The biggest problem I have with test jumpers is that they want to go back to the horizontal after release. That’s dead wrong, fly on you shins, stay vertical. You will get a faster smoother opening.

Oh!

I have been designing rigs for 40 years and didn't know that.

I was under the impression that a hard arch is the worst possible position for a reserve deployment.

?? Please explain.

I have 14 reserve rides and hard arched then manually deployed each one...what am I dong wrong?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How about an RSL reserve deployment, after a bag-lock cutaway (which stood you up)?

We've seen this one before quite a while back IIRCC

Not true. They need to be designed for just such a deployment. What is the jumper's orientation in relation to the relative wind the moment post breakaway from a spinning malfunction back to earth when an RSL pulls the pin?

It's exactly that orientation.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

How about an RSL reserve deployment, after a bag-lock cutaway (which stood you up)?

What about it? Do you assume that any one body position is going guaranteed operation or non-operation?

Just FYI... a bag lock does not stand you up as a matter of course. It may or may not. So what's your point?

That freebag can come out in just about any body position....or it can stay locked in...as has happened before.

OK...your arrogance is showing now. But...it's always nice to know that there is at least one perfect person out there who could never be wrong about anything.

Read the PM.