lummy

A License and AFF

Stupid follow-up question...
Will most DZs let you jump if you've been signed off student status but don't have your "A" yet (assuming you have documentation that you've in fact been signed off)?
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Depends on the dz, really. Call first, bring your log book, any videos, that kind of thing. Don't be surprised if they make you take a written test or strongly suggest (insist) you jump with a "coach" or JM. They are looking out for your safety, not just avoiding liabilty.

The situation may vary in different parts of the country. Here in California my home DZ is Skydance in Davis. When I was a student... (scratch that, we're all students..); when I had only about 15 jumps under my belt I called around to BayAreaSkydiving (Byron) and Monterey Skydiving ( Strangely enough, Monterey) and both DZ would let me jump there, but would require a pre-jump interview or a dive with an intructor before they would let me go solo.
Feet up, heads down, blue skies,
Landmissle

That's my understanding as well. SkyDance made Skreamer do a Coached Jump (They call it a twilight 4) which is basically an AFF L4 before they let him go solo. Same thing when you aren't current. I was checking out Cross Keys since I have to go to NJ next week and they require that you jump with an instructors supervision.

Zennie,
It depends on the DZ whether or not they will let you jump. Big DZ's usually require an A-license to jump. If you visit a smaller DZ they will usually require you to do a dive with an instructor. Example, Skydive Arizona requires an A-license for visiting skydivers. I went to Arizona Skydiving Coolidge with 18 jumps and they had me jump with an instructor and then said have fun. If you plan on visiting a DZ without having an A-license call first and see what they say. I hope this helps.
Blue Skies,
Adam

All depends where you visit. The one non-USPA dropzone I've been to only wanted to know that I could explain how a parachute works. Call around - if they know about you ahead of time they are likely to be understanding. If you have to do a coached jump it isn't the end of the world - it's a good chance to get advice.
-mb

Landmissle,
How long you been jumping at Skydance? My FJC was 6/12/99. I've jumped with Neal, Greg, DOB, Stefano, & Stig as my J/Ms. While I was there I jumped for 3 months then moved back to SoCal. I finished up my A lic. at Elsinore. If you like Skydance, you'll love Elsinore!

Not any more. Last Saturday on Safety Day we were told that from here on out all students will be just that until they have an A license and must be accompanied by another licensed jumper until they've received it. Even if that means it takes 40 jumps until the damn thing gets to them by mail...Can anyone help me out with this one...?
"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

Lummy speaks the truth.
I had completed AFF in South Africa (January 2001), my last jump there was my graduation hop n pop. I did my check-out jump and conversion to BOC in the same jump at Skydance last week. They were then totally cool with me skydiving at Skydance. (do I need to repeat how awesome and friendly I found Skydance?) Now the really frustrating thing is I can't post a positive review yet because Skydance is not listed on the new DZ.com (yet). I have mailed them and asked them to list asap.
/s