diver123

is 1.35 aggressive?

I just picked up a new rig with a sabre 170, and I weigh about 230 out the door... I put just over a 100 jumps on a 190 and felt really comfortable with my abilities, but it's been 4 months since my last jump and it was on the 190. Anyone else load a Sabre at about the same level? How does it respond for you?
"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

I was 220-230 out the door and my first chute was a Triathlon 175 (30 jumps I had, I just could not fit the 190 in my container). That was about 1.25-1.31 and I was ok, but a triathlon is a little more forgiving (more sink less glide, pulls out of dive very quickly) than a sabre. I jumped a sabre 170 after about 80 jumps and I had no problem what so ever.
Try one and if you feel confident, it is up to you, just remember you have to plan your flight a little more ahead as you size down. If you think 10 seconds ahead you will be ready when that hot shot cuts you off. You won't unintentionally dive into the ground but you will flat turn or you will take a gradual cross wind landing instead of panicking and forcing a turn.
People did die last year at 1.3, just be really careful and fly straight in the first few times.
Ask your S&TA or a respected canopy pilot for guidance.
bloo ones
ramon

I'm jumping a Sabre at 1.3, and even though it's considerably smaller, and loaded higher that anything I've jumper prior, I've found it very managable so far... I started back (500 jumps 17 years ago, 9 since returning - 4 on the Sabre) on a Falcon 300, and the Sabre is a lot more fun, and the landings have actually been better than the Falcon...
Edited by bwilling on 3/7/01 08:05 PM.

I'm about 220 out the door which loads my sabre 170 at about 1.3lbs/ft^2. I don't have that many jumps on my sabre (~60 jumps) and have no problem with landing in all conditions (touch wood...). I do notice that I get down faster than most others - my glide/descent ratio appears steeper than theirs. Then again, I do like to spiral!
I don't do ANYTHING radical near the ground and am quite happy with the landings.
Take it easy and get used to it!
Ben