skreamer

back tracking

I have tried on two successive jumps now to back track without success. The way I was told was to go into a normal track and then do a half belly roll. However I would go unstable as soon as I tried it. Is there another method, or should I just keep trying this way? Any advice?
/s

Hmmm. This is something that I need to work on too. Try starting on your back and straightening out your legs. Bring your arms perpendicular to your body(straight out to the sides). This worked for me last time. I have yet to try it since though. Good luck!
Safe landings,
Alex D-something

I can back track pretty good. But the most fun thing to do is jump out of the plane facing the rear of the plane and just let the wind take your feet out from under you and lay you on your back, voila, you're back tracking, and you can watch the plane go away. And if ya want you can try to get into headdown from this position, just spread you legs really wide.
That's pretty much the only way I exit now when i am jumping solo, I love to just lie back into the wind and watch the plane and totally just let your just totally relax and just let the wind do with you what it will.
God I love this sport.
Later
Krishan

Yeah, I would recommend just getting in your back first and then go into a tracking position. Think about it...If you are in a BellyTrack, you are less stable than an arched position just by the body position that you are in, right? So if you are in less of a stable position and you do an aggressive move into another less stable position, you are probably going to have issues with it right off the bat. belly to earth to your back to a track...that would be my recommended way to learn backtracking.
"I'll jump anything!"

I wanted to learn how to back track about 10 jumps ago so that I could clear the air dircectly above just before wave-off time. This is what I initiallly did: Track as normal. Assuming you want to rotate counter-clockwise, take left arm a place across mid-section (tummy) palm of hand flat to surface. Take right arm and place it behind back just below your container with the back of hand flat to surface of back. Drop left shoulder as if to make a left turn. You will now begin to rotate about the long axis of your body. If you rotate your hips in the same direction you will flip over even faster. When you are on your back (all you'll see is blue...)return your arms to the normal track position and viola', you're back tracking!
Now the cool part. Instead of returning your arms to the normal position when you are your back, leave them in place and continue the rotation. You've just done a cork-screw.
After you've done this a few times, you won't need to bring your arms across your body. Simpley bring them flat against your side and rotate your torso.
If you want you can do several rotations in a row without stopping and you'll learn what a bullet or rifled slug feels like when exiting the barrel.
Have fun!
Feet up, heads down, Blue skies,
Landmissle