lilchief

Tandem suit

Strange that I could not find a thread for tandem instructor suits. The search however, came up with lots of hits on "tandem wingsuit" :P

Sitting here in my imaginary Nomex flame retardant suit; Are there any good built tandem instructor suits where one may add padding and cordura on knees + butt + baggy legs and arms + hook knife pocket on each thigh? B|
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Our TI staff suits are Vertical, model name Inverted and theyre holding up well, and Vertical has good customer service for adjustments, fixes, etc.

We opted for after market hook knife add on (via our riggers) so they are mounted according to each instructor preference for location, type of knife, size, and if it attaches with a snap or not, etc.
I am apparently the biggest klutz when dropping my rig so not having a snap on my thigh for the leg strap to get hung up on 17x a day is a plus.

Tony Suits made a suit for a while, I think they do not advertise it, but will make you one. no arms, sleeveless. Booties, mesh vents on the sides for hot days and sweat. Padded shoulders for the heavy rig, padded knees and butt for the landing. I had one of the first prototypes. It was great and I still have it f you want, 6'2" 220-240lb

Most of the bigger suit makers will do whatever you ask (within reason and for a price).

Shoot them an e-mail explaining what you want and see what they say.

I'm partial to Tony Suits myself, but there are others out there that are just as good.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thanks guys! Seems it was a bit easer than I thought. :)
I'll get into it before the next season starts. Beeing here in Norway, sleeveless/no arms is not good for winter jumping :D:)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Personally, I think the best way to go is to just use old clothing that is built tough. Surplus military pants and a good long-sleeve top work great.

But since you are from Norway, perhaps you’re looking for a skydiving suit to throw over your clothes so you can easily take it off when you’re on the ground and not turning loads. In this case, I would buy a couple of used freefly suits and just reinforce them with cordura on the butt and knees.

I’ve done tandems for a long time and I just can’t see buying a brand new suit for an activity that is tough on your clothes.

Thanks for the input :)

As you said, it needs to have the ability to fit an extra layer for the winter. The Boogieman zippers on the legs are super neat for the summer :) Being just a hobby next to work, whatever I earn on tandems, if I can't jump enough to spend that money, I might as well invest in gear ;D
www.lilchief.no

I have to agree with Toggle. Surplus military pants are way cheaper than jumpsuits. You can sew reinforcement patches on the butt and/or knees as needed. Where I jump, it's hot in the summer and colder in the winter. I just put them on over a pair of normal walking shorts, then if I have time between loads I just take them off. If it's cold, put a pair of sweatpants on underneath. Very versatile. Then for the top, just a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirts, whatever's needed.