BigSky

Basik drogue wrap

Hello all, I'm looking for some insight on a malfunction I had yesterday. I was jumping our Basik and had the drogue wrap around my wrist (yes I know what a jack ass I am but that's not the point of this post). After a few tries to clear it I deployed my reserve. As I was reeling in my drogue I noticed my main bag also being towed behind me. Fortunately I was able to just pull it all in and did not have a two out. My question is why was it out? the main handles were both still in place and before jump I checked the gear and so did my DZO. every thing was as it should be.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

BigSky

Hello all, I'm looking for some insight on a malfunction I had yesterday. I was jumping our Basik and had the drogue wrap around my wrist (yes I know what a jack ass I am but that's not the point of this post). After a few tries to clear it I deployed my reserve. As I was reeling in my drogue I noticed my main bag also being towed behind me. Fortunately I was able to just pull it all in and did not have a two out. My question is why was it out? the main handles were both still in place and before jump I checked the gear and so did my DZO. every thing was as it should be.

Good move on the reserve pull.

First rule of survival:

Problem in freefall?

Stop the freefall!

Avoid tandem terminal. Drogue entanglement would likely set up a wicked spin.

Not a good place to be, for both of you.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

More information is needed to give a comment. Was the drogue still attached? Had the closing loop broken? Had the pin been dislodged/pulled (a potentially fatal bag out situation)? Gear checks are paramount. Handle checks and gear checks on climb and during exit are essential. Throw the drogue like your life depends on it. Don't allow yourself to be distracted. Never allow yourself to assume you know what's happening and DONT get complacent.

On The Basik tandem, you can pull the drogue release handle and it will go back in place with the bungee. There is no stopper like on the Sigma which will prevent pulling before the drogue is set.
It happened to me to pull accidentally the handle (without noticing) and get an open canopy when setting the drogue.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

On The Basik tandem, you can pull the drogue release handle and it will go back in place with the bungee. There is no stopper like on the Sigma which will prevent pulling before the drogue is set.
It happened to me to pull accidentally the handle (without noticing) and get an open canopy when setting the drogue.

I took a look at the rig again today and there is just no way this happened. the bungee pulls the pillow back some but it dose not seat back in the magnets. The pillow was totally seated in place when we inspected it. I must have snagged the left closing flap and pulled the cord when turning around in the plane.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

In my experience with Vector 2 tandems and strong tandems, If you did not release the drogue and the drogue was connected correctly then it should have been attached with the main container closed when you arrived at the ground.

Chances are the both ends of the double loop were on one drogue release cable instead of each on one separate cable.

1)Improperly connected drogue
2)You pulled the drogue release

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

No sir, checked that my self and also had a pin check before getting on plane, it was correct.

I have seen TIs with 10 tandems miss stuff on pre jump inspections so there is no reason to believe you could not miss something.

There are only 2 ways to pull the cable pin if the drogue is hooked up correctly.

1 you pulled it
1 you snagged it

you already said you did not pull it and now you are certain you inspected it correctly. fucking Tandem gremlin I guess you hook it on the way out before hooking your arm with the drogue bridle.

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Obviously not up to date bro have not been on here for ages. Just came on to see if anyone had any insight. Only reason is cuz the handles were still in place and two gear checks were given. My check I will admit only making sure each cord was threw its own loop and that was correct for sure. DZO also gave a check as we were walking to the plane and he feels certain the the three ring was correct as well. I am leaning toward snagging it as I got up and turned around.