jakebaustin

FAA class 3 medical. After a marijuana possession

Has anyone here who has had a misdemeanor marijuana charge ever gone to get their class 3 and had any problems? I assume a simple misdeameanor can be grounds for loosing the class 3 medical, but how about a misdemeanor marijuana charge prior to applying for the class 3 medical? Would one still be able to obtain the class 3 medical? Asking for a friend who wishes to remain anonymous.

You'd have to list it on item 18w of the medical form and then it'd be pushed up the chain for review.

If you were getting a medical to get into GA you may want to talk to an aviation lawyer first. It might cost a bit but it's definitely doable. Otherwise if it's just to be a TI, just send in the form and wait for them to contact you for clarification. They may want to see some kind of psychiatric evaluation or a few drug tests to see if you're a regular user. If you're just asking for a 3rd class I don't think the FAA cares as much, but it'll probably still take a few months.

The Dr I went too for my FAA medical exam only does FAA stuff - all day long (he's got a sweet deal going, $100+, cash, every 15 minutes). Since he has so much experience working with the FAA, versus the majority of doctors who do these exams for a few hours once per month - he specializes in the tough cases that require extra communication or followup. He's the guy to ask, or your friend should look for the most experienced FAA doctor they can find. My guy is Dr. Richard Pellerman, he's in Seattle, and Google can get you his contact info if your friend is local or can come for an appt.

For anyone who is local, this guy is all around rad. His office is the top floor of a gas station, his posters with reminders and his out of office schedule are handwritten, he listens to classical music at top volume and brings his pet parrot to work. He skydived a bit in the 60's and some in the military, and got hurt the first time he tried to land a square parachute. He is a pilot, scuba dives, rock climbs, and says skydiving is the safe one. He is awesome!

I've had a candidate who could not get his medical due to a misdemeanor marijuana charge. His went "up the chain" and got kicked back down as a wait "x" amount of time and try again. I forget the exact amount of time, but want to say they made him wait 2 more years. He is hoping to get his medical this year when he reapplies.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com